Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: I'll be needing a transplant soon.

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: I'll be needing a transplant soon.

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on September 21, 1998 at 09:16:47:

In Reply to: I'll be needing a transplant soon. posted by Paul on September 20, 1998 at 02:47:50:

I am a 28 year old male, non-smoker, and when I did drink, I was not a heavy drinker.
I suffer from cardiomyopathy, and according to my cardialogist, I will be needing a transplant. My heart is at 16% capacity/dialosis.
He's told me that he's seen people with stronger hearts than mine who needed a transplant.
My question is, how can I still feel so "well" and be in such a rotten condition? I can still dance, and I usually outdance my friends, for example. Will my condition suddenly just fall apart when I do need a transplant?
One other question I have is How long is the life expectancy of a transplant recepient? I read the stats on survival rates, but they didn't say how long a person could survive. Is it beyond 3 years, 5, 10 or even more than that? I need to know for my own peace of mind.
Thank you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Paul
Was the doctor that told you that you need a transplant a cardiologist? I ask, because we do not perform transplants just based on a number, such as the 16%. If you have no symptoms of heart failure you do not need a transplant. If you develop symptoms, then you would be treated with medicines. Potentially, you should be on certain medicines now to strengthen the heart, even if you do not have symptoms.
If you are on a good set of medicines and still have severe, symptomatic heart failure, transplant is then a consideration. Survival rates are excellent and depend in part on the experience of the particular transplant center, as well as the individual patients. Over 90% of transplant patients are alive at 1 year. Over 75% are alive at five years. Many patients are alive and doing well beyond 10 years.
I hope this is useful. Feel free to write back. I wish you the best of luck.
If you would like to set up an appointment with one of our cardiologists here at the Cleveland Clinic please feel free to call 1-800-CCF-CARE.
Information provided in the Heart Forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only. Actual diagnosis and treatment of any particular medical condition can only be made by your physician(s).