Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Lopressor and Pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Lopressor and Pregnancy

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on March 20, 1999 at 00:39:52:

In Reply to: Lopressor and Pregnancy posted by Brenda on March 19, 1999 at 19:13:15:

I am a 26 year old healthy female. About a year ago I began to experience a
rapid heart rate of about 150 beats per minute. I saw a cardiologist and
wore the holter monitor for 24 hours and was diagnosed with a healthy heart
that beats too fast. No cause was found. I was prescribes Lopressor 50mg
daily. My question is, I'm thinking about becoming pregnant and was
wondering about the risks to the fetus. If there are risks, what would the
risk to myself be if I discontinued the medication for nine months? Thank
you.

Dear Brenda,
Thank you for your question. Lopressor is a class C drug which means there is limited human data on safety in pregnancy.  In general most doctors feel it is safe during pregnancy.   I would discuss your concerns with your doctor.  It may be worth a trial off the medications now before you are pregnant to see how you do.  Don't stop taking it however without first discussing it with your doctor.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.