Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: MVPS

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: MVPS

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on August 19, 1998 at 09:42:42:

In Reply to: Re: MVPS posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on August 18, 1998 at 17:55:06:

As I read through the Heart Forum each day, I am amazed at the large  number of people experiencing arrhythmias with no apparent heart abnormality. I am one of those sufferers, who for the last 20 years, has dealt with persistent PVCs, bouts of A-Fib, periodic panic attacks, and a host of other symptoms with a plethora tests under my belt and no physical explanation.
I recently found a number of articles on Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrom (syndrome) which from my understanding, is a term which describes a variety of symptoms such as those I've been experiencing, which may or may not be tied to an actual valvular condition.  The more I read, the more I believe that I have MVPS. My take on this condition is that it is not a heart problem at all, but instead an imbalance between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nerve systems perhaps originating within the brain itself.
I now think that I understand why my doctor, a cardiologist specializing in arrhythmias, told me that many of the new procedures such as catheter ablation would not be applicable to my condition...the problem may not be in the heart after all!   What I wonder, is why MVPS is rarely (if ever) mentioned in the Forum.  Also, what can one do to determine if this is the "long lost" diagnosis?  Finally, are there any treatment available or in the works?
P.S. Thank you for this excellent and valuable service.  
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Ken
In fact, many people write in to us regarding mitral valve prolapse (MVP). It is a common diagnosis, in part because many people have the condition, and in part because it is overdiagnosed by family physicians. MVP consists of a deformed mitral valve, that in some cases progresses to cause mitral regurgitation (a leaky mitral valve) - if severe, surgical repair or replacement may be necessary. MVP can occasionally cause heart palpitations. MVP can be diagnosed by a physician on a physical exam, or better, by a cardiac ultrasound. Thus, contrary to what you have written, true MVP is a structural disease of the mitral valve and has nothing to do with the brain or sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system. If you had MVP, I suspect your cardiologist would have made this diagnosis.
I hope this is useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back with further questions.
If you would like to set up an appointment with one of our cardiologists here at the Cleveland Clinic please feel free to call 1-800-CCF-CARE.
Information provided in the Heart Forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only. Actual diagnosis and treatment of any particular medical condition can only be made by your physician(s).