Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Meditronic Combination Pacemaker/Defibrillator
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: Meditronic Combination Pacemaker/Defibrillator

Posted By Beverly on June 26, 1999 at 12:09:09
I am sending this letter for my father . . .
My name is Russell Beachboard and I am going to be 80 years old this August.  I have had two major heart attacks and a quadruple bypass.  In Dec. 1995 I started to have fibrillations around 150 bpm.  Since this time I have had two combination pacemaker/defibrillators fail and am on my third.  Initially my heart stabilized between 70-86bpm but then jumped to 100 bpm.  I had electroversion; however, for the last 60 days my heart rate has been 90-95 bpm.  I am experiencing extreme tiredness and loss of stamina.  These are my questions.
1.  My pacemaker is a Medtronic combimation pacemaker/defibrillator.  My clinician has told me that the pacemaker portion establishes only the low rat at 70bpm but does not control the rate at anyother point.  I thought a pacemaker worked as a heart regulator, establishing a low to upper heart beat range and then controlling the heart at a level within these parameters?  Is this correct?
2.  What is the exact function of a combined pacemaker/defibrillator?
3.  What exactly is a dual pacemaker?  I understand that I have a problem  with the synchronization of my atria and ventricle.  Would this help?
    *Thank you for your great service*