Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Meditronic Combination Pacemaker/Defibrillator

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Posted By Beverly on June 26, 1999 at 12:09:09
I am sending this letter for my father . . .
My name is Russell Beachboard and I am going to be 80 years old this August.  I have had two major heart attacks and a quadruple bypass.  In Dec. 1995 I started to have fibrillations around 150 bpm.  Since this time I have had two combination pacemaker/defibrillators fail and am on my third.  Initially my heart stabilized between 70-86bpm but then jumped to 100 bpm.  I had electroversion; however, for the last 60 days my heart rate has been 90-95 bpm.  I am experiencing extreme tiredness and loss of stamina.  These are my questions.
1.  My pacemaker is a Medtronic combimation pacemaker/defibrillator.  My clinician has told me that the pacemaker portion establishes only the low rat at 70bpm but does not control the rate at anyother point.  I thought a pacemaker worked as a heart regulator, establishing a low to upper heart beat range and then controlling the heart at a level within these parameters?  Is this correct?
2.  What is the exact function of a combined pacemaker/defibrillator?
3.  What exactly is a dual pacemaker?  I understand that I have a problem  with the synchronization of my atria and ventricle.  Would this help?
    *Thank you for your great service*

Posted By Deb on June 26, 1999 at 14:21:03
I am sorry to hear of all your problems.  It is sad that we as pacemaker patients do not get any info about our devices.  I worked at the same hospital I had mine done and I had to beg for info.  I even had one of the cardiologists that I worked with, tell me that they did not want to give their patients too much info because it would make their jobs harder!  He did not know I had one! I have a Medtronic's dual chamber pacemaker.  I have had sinus arrest and slow and fast heart rates, called sick sinus syndrome. I know that Medtronic's makes the combination pacer/defibrillator.  They have a web site that may help you.  (www.medtronic.com). Also you may want to try this site too. (www.naspe.org) this is a site of EP doctors and they also have a patient page.  North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology (NASPE)
A pacemaker/defribrillator is not something I know about. I have the dual chamber because I need to have the synchrony between the atrium and the ventricle because I have trouble with just atrial pacing.  But if you check some of these sites they have much of the info you are asking about.
Take care.

Follow Ups:

Meditronic Combination Pacemaker/Defibrillator CCF CARDIO MD - CRC 6/28/1999
(0)