Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Mitral Prolapse and Regurgitation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Mitral Prolapse and Regurgitation

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on June 10, 1998 at 17:23:46:

In Reply to: Mitral Prolapse and Regurgitation posted by REEMA on June 07, 1998 at 02:52:35:

I'm 22 years old female who has been diagnosed recently with Mitral Valve Prolapse(with regurgitation),
after my complaints of palpitation and being fatigued, especially after doing exercise and climbing stairs
or racing.
My doctor heard a systolic murmur during my physical examintion and recommended an echocardiogram, which
confirmed the regurgitant mitral valve. Moreover, the echocardiogram showed a mild regurgitation in the
Tricuspid valve . The doctor recommended no treatment and he said that I need periodic echocardiograms
and evaluations. He advised me to do some exercises like swimming because it will help in improving my
symptoms.
Is the leaky tricuspid valve related to the mitral prolapse and why?
Is my mitral valve going to deteriorate with the passage of time?
Is the leakage of the valves going to increase?
I'm continuing to follow up with my cardiologist. My blood pressure is normal and so is my cholesterol
and I still have the symptoms.
Your advice will be really appreciated. Thanks  

_

Dear Reema,
Thank you for your question.  Mitral valve prolapse (MVP) is a common condition and should be differentiated from mitral
regurgitation.  These are not the same condition and while what Nathan said about regurgitation is true it does not
necessarily hold true for MVP.  The mitral valve is located on the left side of the heart between the left atrium and ventricle.  
It has two leaflets that open during diastole (rest period of the heart cycle) and close during systole (the pump period of the
heart cycle).  It is during the closing of the valve that the problem occurs with MVP.  Instead of closing exactly together
there is some redundency or overlap of the two leaflets of the valve.  Regurgitation occurs when there is back leakage
through the valve and may or may not be present in MVP.
There is no clear consensus on what, if any, symptoms MVP causes.  Observations have demonstrated that persons with
MVP often have palpitations, feelings of fatigue, depression, anxiety and mental illness but it is by no means clear that the
MVP is causing these symptoms.  A possible explaination is that MVP is a common condition and these other symptoms
are not uncommon and they just happen to both be present.  In other words the findings are "true, true and unrelated".  
The site below is from the American Heart Association and you may find it useful.  Hope this helps.

MITRAL VALVE AND MITRAL VALVE PROLAPSE

Information provided here is of a general nature and for educational purposes only. Specific diagnoses and treatments can
only be made by your doctor. If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an
appointment with a cardiologist  at Desk F15.

A related discussion, is repair feasible on most mvp problems was started.