Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Mood swings & CHF???

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Mood swings & CHF???

Posted By Rhonda M on April 26, 1999 at 00:31:26
Please help me.  My father is 72, obese and has poor circulation and diabetes, arthritis which basically has him in a wheelchair 24/7 (when he isn't sleeping) and a chronic smoker.  He recently has been diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure.  My question is this-I understand that he has become depressed, but along with this, AND the lack of oxygen, is it common for persons suffering CHF to become hateful and argumentative?  
While he was in the hospital last week, AND on oxygen, he seemed to be his old self.  But he has only been out for a few days, and is already becoming so hateful again.  I can hardly stand to be around him.  Recently, my siblings came across the country to see him, too.  They desperately tried to be loving and compassionate, but we are at our wits end.  I fear he is, too.  He WILL NOT give up the cigarettes, he argues incessantly with my mom on this matter, and life is becoming a living hell.
I see them on almost a daily basis.  I have a mentally impaired daughter of my own to care for, and feel I am losing sight of my priorities.  I realize he is sick, and while he was in the hospital (which I forced him to go as he hadn't been out of bed for three days), my mother and I breathed a sigh of relief.  He was able to talk coherently, and could actually stay awake to see and play with his greatgrandsons.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Not okay in OK
Rhonda

Posted By Jill M on April 26, 1999 at 10:10:32
Hi Rhonda, I can't offer any help, but wonder if you've come across Jon's Place, a support group for those with CHF and their families. I'm sure you will get lots of help from people in your situation. E-mail me if you'd like the URL.

Follow Ups:

Mood swings & CHF??? CCF CARDIO MD-APS 4/27/1999
(0)

Mood swings & CHF??? Rhonda 4/26/1999
(2)

Re: Mood swings & CHF??? CCF CARDIO MD-APS 5/03/1999
(1)

Mood swings & CHF??? Smitha 5/05/1999
(0)