Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Myocarditis or Myocardiosis? For Help!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - MTR on August 20, 1998 at 22:31:06:

In Reply to: Re: Myocarditis or Myocardiosis? For Help!!! posted by Mike on August 20, 1998 at 08:05:24:

Any help and answer will be much appreciated. I am an international employee,
sometimes work in China, and sometimes in USA.
Two years ago in a physical examination, The Doctor found I had arrhythmia,
I was diagnosed with myocarditis.I tried several kinds of medicines,
including CoQ10 and some antiarrhythmic drugs.but my arrthymia still exists.
recently I took a ultrasonic examination.My ventriculus sinister cordis is
bigger (internal diameter from 50mm to 57mm, the normal
value should be below 56mm), I do not know the medical terms. maybe some
doctors can understand what I mean. some doctors said it is because of my
fatigue or my myocarditis, the heart muscle is losing its function. it is
true? my heart is getting bigger, I know it is a pretty bad sign. so I
eagerly ask for your help. Some docters also said my myocarditis became
myocardiosis. is it true? I am also looking forward to knowing some
suggestion about the treatment. My health is very important to my parents,
they are old and out of work. They are also heavily sick. They cannot
live independently.
By the way, even now I have no symptom, and my EF is normal. My family have
no history of heart diseases.
I am 28 Y.O now.

_

Dear Mike, thank you for your question.  I'm confused about many parts of your question. First, was your ejection fraction (EF) low in the past when you initially had myocarditis?  Second, I don't know what the ventriculus sinister cordis is.  Are you referring to the internal dimensions of the left ventricle?  Finally, what type of arrhythmia do you have?  If you could write back with answers to those questions, I may be able to help you more.  In the meantime, I can write a bit about myocarditis.  Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle caused by certain viruses, bacteria (in third world countries - most notably South America), and autoimmune diseases (the body attacks its own tissues).  I have never heard the term myocardiosis so let's discard that term.  Treatment of myocarditis depends on the cause.  For this reason, a myocardial biopsy may be done to help determine the cause.  When myocarditis is caused by bacteria or viruses, treatment is rarely successful and the heart can sometimes recover with only supportive treatment.  When it's caused by autoimmune diseases, treatments like steroids can sometimes help.  It sounds like you've fully recovered now since your EF is normal and you have no symptoms.  The EF drops when myocarditis occurs because the heart isn't strong enough to pump blood well.  You appear to have an excellent prognosis since your EF is normal and you have no symptoms, but your cardiologist should be the one to make that determination.  I can see no evidence (from what you've written) that you would develop further cardiac problems in the near future. I'd be happy to respond again if you could provide more information.  I hope you find what I've written useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be provided by your physician.