Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Pacemaker at 31?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: Pacemaker at 31?

Posted By Lisa on December 05, 1998 at 11:37:09:

In Reply to: Pacemaker at 31? posted by Rebecca on December 04, 1998 at 00:18:59:

I wrote to you several weeks ago about IST, you suggested I see an electrophysiologist which I did.  He performed an EPS study and found that I had av node reentry which he ablated successfully, but unfortunately he was not able to fix the IST after 44 ablation attempts.  He said my heart stayed in atrial fibrilation and he was not able to continue. Since the procedure, about 2 weeks ago, he did a holter monitor.  He called today and told me that there were episodes of 3rd degree heart block and suggested a pacemaker.  Now, finally my question, unfortunately, I live in a small town where that is only one electrophysiologist.  I am not sure if there might be another option out there... do you have any suggestions, I am only 31 and the thought of being dependent on a pacemaker horrifies me.
Thank you so much for your time.
Hi, I understand what you are going through.  ALthough I am 8 years older,
I still was completely appalled at a pacemaker at 39.  The week before and
about 2 weeks after the pacemaker went in I was really depressed.  But as I
realized it did not interfere with my life, I let go of the bad feelings.  I would much
rather have a pacemaker than risk passing out while I was out driving or taking
care  of my 3 children.  Its funny now but when my doctor told me I needed a pacemaker I told him I was too young and only old people got pacemakers.
It WILL get better.  Lisa