Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Questions about recovery from valve replacement

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Posted By Michael L. on June 17, 1999 at 12:36:11
Hello. I had valve replacement surgery on May 26 at the Cleveland Clinic. I have a question about my recovery; my heart seeems to be beating very strongly, it is very noticible when I am at rest or trying to sleep. I know that the heart takes time to heal after the surgery, so I am wondering how long it will beat heavily, and if this is a normal thing after surgery. Will it stay this way, or will it eventually drop back to it's "normal" beats? I have had aortic stenosis all of my life, so maybe I don't know what a normal heart beat feels like, but I do know that it feels very strong, almost too strong. Also, I am on 150 mg of Toprol XL right now. I was on 300 mg because my heart was beating so strongly, but it was cut in half because it started to make me feel lethargic and woozy. Will the Toprol be cut down more as my heart heals? Thanks for your time.

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD JMF on June 17, 1999 at 15:04:24
Dear Michael,
Thank you for your question.  Now that your heart is fixed, your heart, which has been used to working against a tight valve is probably still producing too much pressure in the setting of a new valve and you may feel these as strong beats.  You should however make certain that your heart beat is not irregular or too fast.  I would suggest that you follow up with your local provider to sort this out if you are unable to take your own pulse.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like
to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart
Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used
to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Follow Ups: