Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Regurg

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Regurg

Posted By Doug on July 01, 1999 at 10:47:09
I had an echo and tee in 96 that found trace regurg on all 4 valves.  I had one Jun25 99 that found mild on mitral and pulmonary.  Does this mean regurg is getting worse.  What should happen with mild regurg i.e. medicine?  I have dizziness, headaches and fatigue quite often.  I also have a VSD.  When does regurg get to the point of needing fixed and how does it get fixed?  Thanks for you help!

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on July 02, 1999 at 12:07:51
Dear Doug
The difference between trace and mild is minimal. Mild regurgitation is probably of little significance, other than requiring periodic re-evaluation. When regurgitation is severe, it requires surgery. When it is moderate, surgery can be considered, but medications usually suffice. Your VSD may need to be evaluated for repair.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Posted By Doug on July 02, 1999 at 13:42:45
The dimensions on my last echo were pretty different than on the one in 96.  Left Ventricle was the biggest change:  Diastolic was 4.2 in "99" and 5.3 in "96"  Systolic 2.0 in "99" 3.8 in "96".  Does mild mitral and pulmonary insufficiency mean regurge or what?  Does the regurg going from trace to mild mean there is a chance of it continuing to get worse?  What would repairing the VSD entail and how dangerous is it?  With one cusp of the tricuspid aortic valve being sucked through the VSD will this cause problems?

Posted By Doug on July 03, 1999 at 09:12:50
What are your thoughts about chamber size from previous message?

Follow Ups:

Regurg CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 7/05/1999
(0)