Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Rheumatic mitral regurgitation. Is healing possible?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: Rheumatic mitral regurgitation. Is healing possible?

Posted By Muruga on April 30, 1999 at 10:50:22
My son who is six years old was diagnosed with rheumatic fever with moderate mitral regurtitation about one year ago. He is on vasotec now because his heart enlarged at 6 month follow up. I heard from his pediatrician that one of his friend had rheumatic fever with heart problems at age 14 and murmur disappeared after 26 years. My son's cardiologist said that 70% of folks with my son's stage of the disease may be free of disease in ten years. But when I got a second opinion from another cardiologist, he says the disappearance of the murmur is unlikely and he may need valve repair sometime. I would like to know your opinion and from people who have/had rheumatic heart disease.