Re: Rheumatic mitral regurgitation. Is healing possible?
Posted By Muruga on April 30, 1999 at 10:50:22
My son who is six years old was diagnosed with rheumatic fever with moderate mitral regurtitation about one year ago. He is on vasotec now because his heart enlarged at 6 month follow up. I heard from his pediatrician that one of his friend had rheumatic fever with heart problems at age 14 and murmur disappeared after 26 years. My son's cardiologist said that 70% of folks with my son's stage of the disease may be free of disease in ten years. But when I got a second opinion from another cardiologist, he says the disappearance of the murmur is unlikely and he may need valve repair sometime. I would like to know your opinion and from people who have/had rheumatic heart disease.

Posted By christi on April 30, 1999 at 12:01:59
I'm 26 yrs old and recently found out i had rheumatic fever as an child.  It was undiagnosed & untreated,,,They found it last year when I was pregnant with my twins,,my valve was closing and I couldn't breath,,,I was 24 wks pregnant and they couldn't do too much,,,but I got care flighted to Cleveland Clinic there they done the angioplasty,,,Now 8 months later I have to go in in about a week and a half and get my valve replaced...They told me my mitral valve was deterioated,,and they couldn't help with the repair,,,,
I wish u the best of luck,,,,This has opened my eyes and I will be keeping a very close eye on my kids,,,

Follow Ups:

Rheumatic mitral regurgitation. Is healing possible? CCF CARDIO MD - CRC 4/30/1999
(0)