Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Triglycerides and Cholesterol

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Triglycerides and Cholesterol

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - MTR on July 20, 1998 at 00:58:13:

In Reply to: Triglycerides and Cholesterol posted by Len on July 15, 1998 at 17:03:17:

I have been recently diagnosed with NIDDM two weeks ago and have recently had a blood profile done. My Cholesterol was 428 and Triglycerides were 1198. He stated that the best thing now to do is take Lipitor to bring the levels down. I thought the first thing to do was always try diet first. By the way I am 5'10 and 174 lbs. Please let me know if I,m wrong!

___
Dear Len, thank you for your question.  You have dangerously high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides and you should have aggressive treatment to lower those levels.  Diet is often used first with mild cholesterol elevations because only a  modest decrease in cholesterol levels is needed.  However, we know that even with the best diet in motivated patients, the cholesterol will only drop 10-15%.  Ideally, your cholesterol should be < 200, your LDL cholesterol should be < 130, your triglycerides should be  45.  Lipitor is an excellent choice for you because it lowers LDL cholesterol more than the other statins (cholesterol-lowering drugs) and also lowers triglycerides (which the other statins do not).   However, the other piece to this puzzle is to exercise vigorously up to 45 mins. every day.  Exercise helps to control blood sugar, raise the good HDL cholesterol, keep the weight under control, and to further lower LDL cholesterol.  Since you have diabetes, you already have a major risk factor for developing coronary artery disease so your elevated cholesterol needs to be treated very aggressively.  While Lipitor is a good drug, it will not achieve the desired cholesterol reduction without a proper diet and daily, sustained exercise.  I hope you find this information useful.
Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be provided by your physician.