Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: ablation and pacemaker

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: ablation and pacemaker

Posted By Emily on June 13, 1999 at 13:27:40
I have been diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia.  I have tried several beta blockers and now a combination of Inderal and Digoxin.  My doctor is planing on repeating the Holter and echo and reccommending that I see an EP doctor in Bethesda (military).  I have been told that if I have an ablation, I will most likley need a pacemaker.  I have been dealing with this condition for 1 and a half years and I've come to terms with the idea of a pacemaker because my quality of life right now is poor due to the dyspnea, SOB, activity intolerance etc.  My question is ... if I due need a pacemaker 1) Will it be placed during the ablation?  2) Will it be done by the same doctor?  3) Will it require an inpatient stay... and how long?  I would also appreciate any other information you might think useful on the subjects of undergoing an ablstion and pacemaker insertion.    Thank You

Posted By EDDiE on June 13, 1999 at 19:07:23
Dear Emily,
I'm kind of in the same situation,except I've been having arrythmias for 7 yrs.
now. It started with intermittant episodes of SVT for the first couple of yrs.until I was put on meds.i.e.,betablockers than the rapid rates, 135-190 bpm. were suppressed for the most part or as long as I stayed on the meds.However, the side effects are terrible,and now I get PVC's which were infrequent in the beginning but now are becoming frequent and intolerable to say the least! At any rate, I'm at the point in my life where I just can't deal with these frightening episodes which went from a couple every 3-4 weeks to a lot every other day, at least for the last week in my case. Anyway, I think the tenormin is just not working for the PVC problem, and often I still get inappropriate tachycardia too easily. Nevertheless, My only options it appears,is to consult with an EP Doctor, which I did and he advises either trying another med. called sectral or possibly going to the class of anti-arrythmics which I hesitate to do, despite how much these things bother me and are interfering with my life, but I a'm considering the EP study which may offer me the best help I can get, and believe me I'm not affraid to admit I'm scared to death they may worsen my arrythmia or I too might need a pacemaker if they screw up! I will say, from all the people I talked to and all the research I did It appears that most experts say theres a 1% chance that this will happen. Lets face it, it depends on who is doing it and where it is getting done,at least that's my oppinion and most doctors rarely speak against other doctors, that is they may not admit that who's doing the ablation or study for that matter, dictates the outcome. They will say it was something to do with the patient, and they (other doctors) know this is true! So get a second or even third oppinion before you accept what 1 Dr. tells you,after all they're  human too!
Sincerely,
Ed Sicoli,

Follow Ups:

ablation and pacemaker CCF CARDIO MD JMF 6/13/1999
(0)

ablation and pacemaker Dee 6/13/1999
(5)

Re: ablation and pacemaker CCF Cardio MD   JMF 6/13/1999
(4)

ablation and pacemaker Dee 6/14/1999
(1)

Re: ablation and pacemaker CCF Cardio MD - JMF 6/15/1999
(0)

ablation and pacemaker Deb 6/14/1999
(1)

Re: ablation and pacemaker CCF CARDIO MD 6/14/1999
(0)