Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: child having dizzy spells

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: child having dizzy spells

Posted By Melissa on May 05, 1999 at 20:23:03
Hi I posted on 5/3 child having dizzy spells.  I was wondering if all heart abnormalities could be diagnosed with hearing a heart murmur.  My son always feels dizzy after over exerting himself.  Someone mentioned bradycardia could this be diagnosed with hearing a heart murmur.  What are some of the questions that I should ask the doctors when we go.  What test should I suggest that they run.  Thanks for your help

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD-APS on May 07, 1999 at 11:24:21
Dear Melissa,
NO, not all hert conditions can be diagnosed on physical exam of the heart, nor with hearing a murmur.
There are many causes of dizziness, and a few are secondary to heart conditions.
Leave the doctor's job to the doctor, allow him or her to do the history and physical exam, as well as his/her assessment that will lead to one or more tests.
Meanwhile, you be the mom, and expect the doctor to at least try to get to the root of your son's symptoms, if not reassure you that he is alright after a full and normal examination.  If there are other tests to be performed always ask the indication, the risks and the benefits involved.
I hope you find this information useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general
purposes only. Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to
write back with additional questions. Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call
1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at
www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that
can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Follow Ups: