Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: heart attack vs stents vs stenosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: heart attack vs stents vs stenosis

Posted By Sharon on August 04, 1999 at 14:44:05
I am 46 years old.  On March 30, 1999, I had a heart attack.  The following day I received 5 stents.  One in my LAD and 4 in my RCA.  I was a smoker, overweight, diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol,family hx (my father died at 56 of a heart attack), stress and inactive.  I had it all.  I stopped smoking cold turkey, began a exercise program ( I was walking 2 1/2 miles per day), and limited my food intake to an average of 1368 calories per day with a 17% fat ratio.  I was doing good.  Within 8 weeks I was able to stopped taking my diabetic medication.  I was losing weight, I felt great.  I had a thalium stress test done at approximately 6 weeks, which I passed.  Five weeks later I began experiencing breathing problems when I walked, I also experienced chest pain while on my treadmill.  I went back to my cardiologist and had a thalium stress test done (which I failed).  The next day I was in the hospital for an angiogram.  The following day I received my sixth stent in my circuflex and I had roto-rooter (ablation) performed in the lower part of my RCA stent and upper part of my LAD stent.  I was told that I had scar tissue build-up.  A 99% blockage was found in the lower part of my RCA and a 95% blockage in my LAD.  I realize that there is no guarantee that scar tissue will not build up again.  I am not doing as well as the first time.  I am only up to walking a mile a day.  
Is it reasonable for me to ask my cardiologist to keep me on disability for an additional six weeks given my history of restenosis???  
This whole illness has been extremely devasting to me.  I have never had anything serious in my life.  What a shock.....

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on August 04, 1999 at 14:55:34
Dear Sharon
I am sure the entire situation is very difficult. However, I would not recommend disability, as you do not sound disabled. I have never found placing patients on disability to be good for their physical or mental health (unless they really were disabled). The risk of restenosis peaks at about 3 months, but is present for about 6 months. The risk of new blockages forming is also present forever. Thus, going on disability for six weeks would not really protect you. Fortunately, your body has a warning system and you have symptoms when you develop a blockage. Make sure that you continue to take such symptoms seriously.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Follow Ups:

heart attack vs stents vs stenosis patty 8/04/1999
(3)

Re: heart attack vs stents vs stenosis CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 8/05/1999
(2)

heart attack vs stents vs stenosis patty 8/05/1999
(1)

Re: heart attack vs stents vs stenosis CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 8/06/1999
(0)