Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: hyperventilation and heart

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: hyperventilation and heart

Posted By D.W. on April 27, 1999 at 11:59:06
I am a 42 yr. average weighted female.  I have been diagnosed with MVP with regurgitation about a yr. ago.  For quite some time I have had a condition which seems to only occur when I lay down.  My heart rate becomes irregular and often slow, my neck swells and hardens up, and I feel a great deal of pressure in my head (swelling I think).  Sometimes I get chest pain and ringing in the ears. My hands begin to feel numb and swollen.  I also have a low white blood count and developing thyroiditis (no meds yet).  Last night I breathed into my cupped hands (like you do when you are hypereventilating) and the swelling and heart rate normalized completely.  I had to do this several times as I was drifting off to sleep to decrease the symptoms.  This is the first time, short of getting up and moving around, that I can actually get rid of the symptoms which occur frequently.  One last thing.  I get incredible dizzy spells sometimes during the day that don't seem to involve the heart as far as I can tell.  It feels like I am going to go unconscious.  Have any ideas about what is going on?  Why would breathing into cupped hands regulate the heart and decrease the swelling?  

Posted By D.W. on April 27, 1999 at 15:41:53
I was not hyperventilating during the episode.  It's just that breathing into my hands like you do in a bag for hyperventilation, (I don't know why I decided to try this) corrected the abnormal and slow heart rythym and swelling in the neck and head.  

Follow Ups:

hyperventilation and heart  CCF CARDIO MD - CRC 4/29/1999
(0)