Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: hyperventilation and heart
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: hyperventilation and heart

Posted By D.W. on April 27, 1999 at 11:59:06
I am a 42 yr. average weighted female.  I have been diagnosed with MVP with regurgitation about a yr. ago.  For quite some time I have had a condition which seems to only occur when I lay down.  My heart rate becomes irregular and often slow, my neck swells and hardens up, and I feel a great deal of pressure in my head (swelling I think).  Sometimes I get chest pain and ringing in the ears. My hands begin to feel numb and swollen.  I also have a low white blood count and developing thyroiditis (no meds yet).  Last night I breathed into my cupped hands (like you do when you are hypereventilating) and the swelling and heart rate normalized completely.  I had to do this several times as I was drifting off to sleep to decrease the symptoms.  This is the first time, short of getting up and moving around, that I can actually get rid of the symptoms which occur frequently.  One last thing.  I get incredible dizzy spells sometimes during the day that don't seem to involve the heart as far as I can tell.  It feels like I am going to go unconscious.  Have any ideas about what is going on?  Why would breathing into cupped hands regulate the heart and decrease the swelling?