Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: pediatric of adult doctor

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: pediatric of adult doctor

Posted By linda on July 30, 1999 at 11:26:12
I am a 31yrs. old female with post op tetrology.
I had a pulmanary valve replacement 16yrs. ago that is now leaking along with the tricuspid valve, which is in consideration for replacements. My question is, should I still be seeing a pediatric cardiologist or an aduld cardiologist at this time and age? I am very confused on this matter. I was told by 2 diffrent doctors to seek an adult cardiologist and told by a pediatric cardiologist, that I need him, not an adult doctor because of my TOF. Any insight will be helpful. I am suppused to have a metobolic stress test done and echo for the valves. I just need to figure out where to go from there.Also one more question, can the leak of a valve(pulmonary and tricuspid)change within 2yrs, with needing replacement. Mine were mild to moderate regurg. Thanks for your help.

Posted By Deb on July 31, 1999 at 00:45:21
Hi,  My son has Kawasaki Syndrome.  He has a cardiac check up every 6 months for the past 10 years.  He was not expected to live we were told, and now 10 years later we are still blessed.  He see's a pediatric cardiologist and will continue to do so because there are really no adult cardio docs that know about childhood heart problems.  I too have heart problems and my old doctor said that they are trying to keep up with the children's heart stuff but it is way to much.  Even as near back as 20 yrs ago, children were not expected to live with certain heart disorders.  Now with all the wonderful advancements in medicine they are living, and adult doctors just have not been able to learn all they want, and need too about them.  It would be like having to go back to med school all over again.  What the Children's Hospital here has done, is to combine a child/adult heart clinic. They have it at night and that way the children that have lived to adulthood, can come in after work.  They are seen in Children's Hospital by adult and pediatric doctors alike.  The hospital is connected to an adult hospital, and a medical school too.  So the adult cardio's and the pediatric cardio's do this one night a week.  My son's doctor said he woild love to see my son as long as my son wants to go to him.  He is the best doctor !  Take care.

Follow Ups:

pediatric of adult doctor CCF CARDIO MD - CRC 8/02/1999
(2)

Re: pediatric of adult doctor Deb 8/02/1999
(1)

pediatric of adult doctor CCF CARDIO MD - CRC 8/03/1999
(0)