Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: peripartum cardiomyopathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: peripartum cardiomyopathy

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on May 17, 1998 at 07:46:45:

In Reply to: Re: peripartum cardiomyopathy posted by Wanda Becknell on May 14, 1998 at 14:01:21:

Is it possible to have more children if you have been diagnosed
with peripartum cardiomyopathy?  What are the chances of a full
recovery?
I am 25 and I have one child and I wanted to know if I would be able to have more children. The doctor says No but I would like to have at least one more child. It has hurt me emoitionally not to have more children. It was two years ago will it be alright?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Wanda:
It is understandable that you want to have another child.  Whether you can do so safely depends on the state of your heart function now.  The fact that your doctor says no is a flag of caution that should be taken seriously.  However, I think you should be evaluated by a cardiologist that is an expert in heart failure.  If the determination is that it would be OK to proceed with another pregnancy, you should then be followed by a high risk OB/GYN program.  All this would be best accomplished at a large medical center.  Good luck.
Information provided here is of a general nature.  Specific diagnoses and treatments can only be made by your doctor.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a heart failure cardiologist at Desk F25.