Heart Disease Expert Forum
Recent stress test
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Recent stress test

Hi, I recently was admitted into the ER for shortness of breath, swelling and heart palps.  The ran blood work, did a chest x-ray, did an EKG and a Stress test with the treadmill.  All came out normal however all symptoms are still there.  My doctor spoke with a friend/cardiologist who wants to see me and do a Echo.  My question is, wasn't all that enough checking for the heart?  Would would an Echo tell that all the other testing didn't?  and...would there be anything else they could have missed??  Thanks so much....Rhonda
An echo looks at the structure and function of the heart, whereas the stress test was looking for blockages causing your symptoms. Having a leaky valve can predispose to certain abnormal heart rhythms which may have caused your palpitations, weak heart muscle (AKA heart failure) can cause leg swelling and shortness of breath -- neither of these things are detectable with a treadmill stress test unless there was an echo done at the same time.
2 Comments
Blank
Thank you very much.  I feel better knowing its worth it to check out.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank