Recurrence of heart failure following peripartum cardiomyopathy
I am wondering what the chance of recurrence is for developing heart failure after previously experiencing and recovering from heart failure as a result of peripartum cardiomyopathy.

I am 33 years old and was diagnosed with peripartum cardiomyopathy after being admitted to the ER with congestive heart failure approximately one week after giving birth to my daughter (4 months ago). I made enough improvement that I was released after 2 days. My cardiologist originally had me on Lasix, potassium supplement, Labatelol, and Enalapril. After about 1.5 months, I was permitted to stop taking everything except the Enalapril; I am currently taking 5 mg/day.

Recently (over the past month or so) I began feeling as though I'm not able to take full breaths. I am not having trouble lying flat on my back to sleep, nor am I waking gasping for air (as I was during my first occurrence). My blood pressure is low, but in the normal range, I think (116/65 a few days ago). I also live with mild asthma, which is being treated with FloVent (maintenance inhaler) and albuterol (emergency inhaler). I must admit that I have not been taking the FloVent as regularly as prescribed and have needed the albuterol daily. The fact that I have asthma has made it difficult for me to determine if my breathing issue is related to that or other causes. I initially thought I might have a chest cold, but I am no longer coughing. I do not notice worsening of my symptoms during exertion.

I am very afraid that the heart failure will recur. Is that a legitimate concern? What are the chances of heart failure recurring after both the cardiomyopathy and previous heart failure have cleared up?

Thank you in advance for your help/advice!

- Jennifer