Heart Disease Expert Forum
Recurrence of heart failure following peripartum cardiomyopathy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Recurrence of heart failure following peripartum cardiomyopathy

Hello,
I am wondering what the chance of recurrence is for developing heart failure after previously experiencing and recovering from heart failure as a result of peripartum cardiomyopathy.

I am 33 years old and was diagnosed with peripartum cardiomyopathy after being admitted to the ER with congestive heart failure approximately one week after giving birth to my daughter (4 months ago). I made enough improvement that I was released after 2 days. My cardiologist originally had me on Lasix, potassium supplement, Labatelol, and Enalapril. After about 1.5 months, I was permitted to stop taking everything except the Enalapril; I am currently taking 5 mg/day.

Recently (over the past month or so) I began feeling as though I'm not able to take full breaths. I am not having trouble lying flat on my back to sleep, nor am I waking gasping for air (as I was during my first occurrence). My blood pressure is low, but in the normal range, I think (116/65 a few days ago). I also live with mild asthma, which is being treated with FloVent (maintenance inhaler) and albuterol (emergency inhaler). I must admit that I have not been taking the FloVent as regularly as prescribed and have needed the albuterol daily. The fact that I have asthma has made it difficult for me to determine if my breathing issue is related to that or other causes. I initially thought I might have a chest cold, but I am no longer coughing. I do not notice worsening of my symptoms during exertion.

I am very afraid that the heart failure will recur. Is that a legitimate concern? What are the chances of heart failure recurring after both the cardiomyopathy and previous heart failure have cleared up?

Thank you in advance for your help/advice!

- Jennifer