Heart Disease Community
Red Wine for MI Patients

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Red Wine for MI Patients

My physician doctor has adviced me to have 30-50 ml of Red Wine daily. He says it acts as good antioxident and is good for recovery of heart after MI. I had MI eight months back and have LV enlargement and hypokinesis of LV walls with EF of 30%.

Does someone has experience or information on red wine being good for heart if taken in small quanytities. I am concerned that it might interfere with medications for heart(coreg, ACE-I, aspirin, aldectone etc.. I am not diabetic.

Thanks in advance for responding.
Apart from mention about moderate consumption of alcohol as stimulant for the heart,I am yet to find someone who is practising it with success.As for me I am an Anterior wall MI patient since last October.Following the heart attack I am also on medications.My EF was just 26% at the time of discharge from the hospital.It is time someone here enlightening us on the notion of alcohol and its benefit on heart disease.
Try the supplement Resveratrol.....I have been taking it for over a year.

"With Every 750mg Capsule You Will Receive the Benefit of Resveratrol found in 100 Glasses of French Red Wine .. without the calories..."

The above I just looked up. It comes in different strengths. Recently I caught part of a tv show where 2 Harvard doctors were going to develop a pill with the potency of thousand (s) of liters of red wine. Someone correct me here, but I think the aim was to stop coronary artery disease (CAD).

I had an MI and stroke in June of 2003. I also read and was told by my cardiologist that moderate consumption of red wine was good for you.

So I started drinking it even though I had not mentally (or physically) recovered from these events. My fear of death was overwhelming. After a while I learned that the alcohol did away with this fear to some degree. So I became a drunk.

I have been sober for 2 years now.

Be careful with the wine. If you over do it, it is very bad for both of you, due to the damage your heart received. You shouldn't drink very much with the standard heart medications. Drink the wine as long as possible in between taking these medications, i.e. don't take the wine and medicine together. This is what I read in the medical literature..

My best to both of you,

Jack
Jack54, Thanks for the response. Did you benefit from taking red wine or the supplement Resveratrol? It scares me to know that this supplement is equivalant to 100 bottles of wine. Do we need so much equivalant of wine? Or it is only good and harmless part of wine?

Jacj54, please also tell me how much gap did you keep between wine and medicines? As you have mentioned that you had MI in 2003 so you may be taking similar medicines as I have mentioned(coreg, ACE-I, aspirin, aldectone etc.).??

How are you doing now?? Are you satisfied with your improvement levels?

Thanks once again for sharing your experience.
I personally don't like to drink alcohol because it sets off my arrhythmias. I did splurge and had a 1/2 glass of beer the other night. Then sat up for hours later on with my pounding erratic heartbeat. Oh well.

I've read that purple grape juice, not white grape, has the same benefits as red wine. Don't know how much you should drink but at least you aren't faced with the meds/alcohol problem.
Thanks for responding. The recommended quantity is 30-50 ml. But I am not sure whether it will interfere with my medicines. My doctor says, in these quantities, it should not. But I thought it would be better to get some feedback.
Read this article:

Grape Expectations:
The Resveratrol Story
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/resveratrol.html

I take Coreg, Altace, Norvasc, Plavix and Zocor. I am not doing to well after my mi. I have adverse reactions to some of the heart meds and have never been able to maintain an exercise routine. The dimensions of my heart are getting larger and I have developed Diastolic Dysfunction and possibly Diastolic Heart Failure.
I could have responded to my mi a lot better than I did. Depression was a big interference for me in doing the right things. I have religiously taken my medicines though.

The best of health to you :)

Jack

Avoid drinking alcohol within 2 hours before or after taking extended-release carvedilol (Coreg CR). Also avoid taking medicines or other products that might contain alcohol. Alcohol may cause the carvedilol in Coreg CR to be released too quickly into the body.

http://www.drugs.com/coreg.html