Heart Disease Expert Forum
Reduced Heart Function

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Reduced Heart Function
I am 38 years old and have been diagnosed with CHF. I was told that my heart was functioning between 25-30% by (2 different doctors). I have had a Cath about 8 years ago with no blockages, another test was performed this summer with the same results. My blood pressure and cholestrol numbers are great. My doc has ordered cardiac rehab which I have done, meds Coreg and Lisenipril. I was told "we will take a look in 3 months" and talk about a pacemaker and if no increase in function maybe transplant list. I am too young to have this happen. Anyone know about life expectancy, chances of function coming back?? Any info will be helpful.
You probably have a dilated cardiomyopathy with no symptoms of heart failure.  Your EF is low.  At this point your life expectancy is very good when looking at the whole spectum of patients with dilated cardiomyopathy.  The heart function may come back if the heart isn't very dilated.  You doctor should be able to tell based on the echo what the level of LV dialtion is.  Make sure you wear a holter for 24 hours to see if there are any frequent PVC's which could be caused for the low heart function.  This is rare but has a good prognosis.  Stay on the meds, the coreg and the lisinopril are an excellent choice.