Heart Disease Expert Forum
Reduced heart function

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Reduced heart function

My 59 year old father was taken to the hosptial with what they thought was an angina attack.  After testing, he was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure, Hypertension and Acute Coronary Syndrome.  His arteries are blocked and his heart function is 20%.  There is a lot of heart muscle damage from previous attacks.  According to his doctors, surgery is not an option.

During the nights in the hospital, his heart rate dropped to 35.  The staff seemed surprised he felt no pain during these episodes.

Digoxin, Lasix, Prinivil, Toprol XL and Ecotrin were prescribed.  His doctors mentioned a pacemaker and he is scheduled for EPS testing.  

He is not a candidate for transplant, and with everything that's wrong, it doesn't look good to me.  Is a pacemaker the next logical step?  Are there any other options we should investigate?

Thank you so very much.
The EP testing and consideration of pacemaker both sound reasonable. Regarding other options, I am not sure why you write he is not a candidate for transplant. He seems to be healthy other than his heart, and may be a candidate for heart transplant, if he needs one. He may also be a candidate for a high-risk bypass surgery, if testing shows that his heart is not getting enough blood around the blockages. I think these options should be investigated.
I understand your dads situation because I have had a rough time with heart problems and with no sucess until maybe today.  In the past 2 years I have had a double by-pass 17 angioplasties, I have had the new radiation teatment with success to that one artery.  The problem is the rest keep getting clogged up.  This weekend I was admitted to the hospital with chest pain and although a angiogramm showed only a small blockage it stll is painful.  I was told today I wil be starting  a new procedure called EECP where they grow new arteries with pumping air into tour bottom have forcing air and blood into your heart thus hopefully making collateral arteries grow.  I read a story where a 69 year old man was out of options did this and he now is fine.  I'm from Cincinnati where they do this  and I understand it's wide spread now so check it out for your dad  Ron
***@****
Having chronic hypertension, severe arteriosclerosis, and CHF, a pacemaker seems like proper treatment.  With those conditions, an ireregular heart beat could develope suddenly and prove to be fatal.  A pacemaker will greatly help to reduce this risk, but other risks still remain.  The hypertension and artery blockage could lead to renal failure.  You may want to look into radionulcide ventriculograms for a better idea of the degree and location of artery blockage.  All in all, it may not be a bad idea to request a transplant if the hypertension can be controlled.
Ron,

Thank you for your suggestion on the EECP procedure.  I've added it to my "ask about this" list and will certainly do so.

I wish you the best of luck.

Mariann
EP,

Thanks for your comments about the pacemaker.  I don't think I asked enough questions and didn't understand how it could help.  I was told he "was a poor candidate" for transplant due to other problems.  But, things can change, I hope.

As far as a bypass of some type, from what I understand, there isn't enough "good heart muscle" left for one to be done.  

Mariann
A related discussion, 20% Heart muscle function was started.
A related discussion, can heart function be regained with bypass was started.