Heart Disease Expert Forum
Relapsing Polychondritis and The Heart

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Relapsing Polychondritis and The Heart
Hi my name is Karen I have a rare orphan autoimmune disorder called "RP" Relapsing Polychondritis, I have been pretty sick now for over 11 months, I am up to 60 MG on the Prednisone and I am on Dapsone and Enbrel Shoots, I never had heart involvment till now, My Echo on 12-1-99 is now showing Tricuspid insufficiency. I am very well educated on my disorder and I go to Harvard sometimes to see a very good Dr for RP, But I feel this is not a good thing (heart prob), I am thinking of coming to the Cleveland Clinic for tretment and to have my heart looked at, what do you think? Can you help me?

Karen P......Illinois
Relapsing polychondritis can be a devastating disorder, especially when the cardiovascular system is involved. Tricuspid insufficiency, however, does not always require treatment. If it is severe, medical treatment is first tried, and only if it fails, would surgical options be considered. I agree that further cardiac evaluation makes sense.