Heart Disease Expert Forum
Removal of Epicardial leads, dangerous or not?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I would like to ask, if you think there is any danger in removing epicardial leads completly?  I know,the V-lead is a  screw in one. The A-lead is sort of a "jab" in one.  Can they be removed without causing a hole in the heart.  What is the danger of leaving portions in the chambers?  Can the left over pieces cause interference with new leads, like sensing problems?  
I may need a new lead, and I have been told that this may or may not be done with open chest surgery.  The docs won't know til they go in.  Which means I won't know til I wake up! Why might that be? My doctors are located way out state, so any information you can give me would be nice. Thanks for taking the time to help.
Dear Deb,

The way to remove epicardial leads is through surgery.  There are always risks to the procedure including puncturing the heart.
I am sure that these risks have been reviewed by your surgeon/cardiologist.  

In general, we leave these leads in unless there is infection caused by the leads.