Resting Heart Rate Recovery
Hello all, a quick question please. I'm a 31 year old male with an approximate 48bpm resting heart rate.  I run pretty regularly, and when I do, I push my heart rate to the approximate 180bpm range.  My recovery in the first two minutes of stopping is generally good, getting down to the 115 - 110 range.  However, it will remain elevated at the 90+bpm range for three hours or more before returning to the resting rate of 48bps.

Most sites discussing heart rate recover usually tell you what a healthy decline in heart is after the first two minutes of stopping exercise.  My question is, how long should it take to return to your resting heart rate after exercise.  Thanks, any help is appreciated.
This isn't an easy question to answer because it depends on the individual. For example, at rehab I would start to exercise and my HR would literally jump to 186. I would then do a gentle walk to let my rate drop which it did within 20-30 seconds, to 90. I would keep walking for 2 mins then sit down. I had to really force my body to relax to get it down to 68 within another 2 mins. I had to force every muscle to relax, take deep slow breaths and think of nothing but laying on a paradise beach somewhere. If I thought about the chores I still had to do, it would stay at 90. The surgeon who did my bypass said that the drop from 180's to 90 is the important one and because mine dropped within 20-30 seconds it showed a very healthy heart. It was also healthy due to the quick response at speeding up. You also have to remember that forcing your heart back to a resting rate is perhaps not ideal after exercise. Your muscles are full of toxic wastes which need removing, the quicker the  better. Perhaps this is why the heart stays at 90 for a while.