Heart Disease Expert Forum
Right Axius

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Right Axius

I just had an EKG done today for persistant palpitations, blowing systolic heart murmur, and near syncope episodes. My physician said it was normal, except that I had a"right ax".  What does that really mean.  He also ordered an echo and a 48 hour holter monitor.

Dear Judy, thank you for your question.  Right axis deviation refers to a change in the orientation of the electrical axis of the ECG that clinically is rarely clinically significant.  Normally the electrical axis of the ECG is between - 40 and 120 degrees.  The axis has to be > 120 degrees in right axis deviation.  The echo and Holter monitor should be able to determine the cause of your murmur and palpitations.
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.  Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.