Heart Disease Expert Forum
Right Bundle Branch Block

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Right Bundle Branch Block

Recently, as a result of a possible abnormality on a treadmill stress test, my physician referred me to a cardiologist who performed a thallium treadmill test.  Although the EKG indicated no ischemia or other problem, the cardiologist saw what he thought might be a small blockage.  In view of family history, he felt it would be best for me to have a heart cath just to be sure.  To make a long story short, I passed the cath with flying colors and my heart was found to be in excellent condition.  I am 55, don't smoke, BP about 130/76, cholesterol about 175, HDL 77, and I exercise daily at 80-85% of my max rate.

For the past five years, a right bundle branch block has showed up on my EKG, but my doctor is not too concerned, especially in view of the just-completed cath test.  What do you think?  Also can you shed light on why the thallium test was a "false positive" and what the cardiologist might have seen to cause him some concern?  Thanks for your response.

Bob Fort
I would believe the cath reuslts over the Thallium. Thallium tests many times indicate disease where there is none, and also sometimes do not pick up disease when it is in fact present. The reason for this is that the thallium test provides pictures that are not as sensitive as a catheterization. If the right bundle branch block was present before the catheterization and nothing else has changed, it sould require no further work-up.

That is an interesting observation by Dr. DLB. Does this not mean that when catheterization is an option, there is no point doing the Thallium test?
No, I would not agree with that approach. The risk of heart attack or death is extremely low with an exercise stress test. Thus, it is a good screening test for medically stable patients. The risk fo heart attack, stroke, kidney failure or death with a cardiac catheterization is low, but much higher than for a stress test; thus, I would not jump to perform the test without a good indication.
My mother has been diagnosed with left bundle branch block by my wife's EPS doctor. He has ordered a cath for her next week. Would you please provide some info as to what this malady is? Thanks!!
Left bundle branch refers to an abnormality in the heart's electrical conduction system. There are several possible causes. It can be caused by coronary artery disease, which is why I suppose the cardiac catheterization has been ordered.
I am a 47 year-old male, 71 in. tall, 185 lbs, BP about 120/75, pulse about 62-68, cholestoral about 190.  Recently when applying for life insurance, my EKG showed a right bundle branch block.  My physician also noticed this on my annual physical, but did not consider it serious enough to brief me on the condition.  I don't experience chest pain, but I am concerned about the type of exercise I engage in.  Twice a week I play basketball (mostly half-court) for about 2 hrs with a group of mostly younger men (20 to 35).  Is this level of exercise appropriate for me?  My physician does not believe that my condition indicates heart disease.
My dad has been told recently that he has a right bundel branch block,left anterior fascicular block, bifascicular block, and pulmonary disease pattern.  his sinus rhythms are normal.  he has  high colsteral test at 325.  he takes lescol 40mlgrams qid and anxiety meds dizzy spell meds,lasax.  why would he have this condition and what are all of the first things I mention?  is he going to have a heart atack or is he facing a possible surgery.  he is 59 and a tile setter and still working full time. i am extreemly concerned and dad is not.  HELP PLEASE!
my husband has an eeg done,shows incomplete heart block,what causes this?
I'AM  44 YEARS OLD JUST BEFORE XMAS 1999 MY BROTHER 47 YEARS OLD
WAS AT HOME SETTING WHEN THE PHONE RANG, WHEN HE GOT UP ON  HIS FEET HE GOT A VERY BAD PAIN IN THIS CHEST AND HIS HEART WAS POUNDING. DOCTORS THOUGHT HE HAD BLOCKAGE THEY GAVE HIM A DRUG TO  TO TREAT THAT BUT DID NOT HELP.HEART RATE WAS 230 BPM. HE WAS TAKE TO A BIGGER HOSPITAL AND WAS FOUND TO HAVE BRUGADA SYNDROME THEIR IS NOT ALOT KNOWN ABOUT THIS AND AFTER ALL YOUR FAMALY WAS  CHECKED I WAS TO FOUND TO HAVE IT. LEFT BUNDEL BRANCH BLOCK SHOWED UP IN MY EKG'S AND ECHO EKG.NO ONE ELSE IN THE FAMALY HAS IT. MY BROTHER AND I NOW HAVE AN IMPLANTABLE DEFIBRILLATOR AND ARE DOING FINE...
IMFO ON BRUGADA SYNDROME
The doctor told me I have right bundle blockage.
If you know how serious it is.post a message for Lourdes
A related discussion, right bundle branch block was started.