Heart Disease Expert Forum
Right Bundle Branch Block

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Right Bundle Branch Block

I am a 33 year old male.  I recently went to urgent care for breathing problems.  After having an EKG done, I was told I had a defect in my heart - Right Bundle Branch Block.  A week later after a stress test, heart scan, and blood tests I was diagnosed with Anxiety.  I have been visiting a therapist, started Yoga and have noticed a big difference and am convinced that the breathing problem, along with other aches and pains, was anxiety.  What I am concerned with is the RBBB.  When I visited my Primary Care doctor, he didn't seem concerned.  When I had my stress test, the cardioligist explained that in my heart the electric signal goes down my right branch slower than my left and told me it wasn't anything to worry about.  Well, to say the least, I have been concerned and considered calling another cardioligist for a second opinion.  What is your thought?  Is a RBBB something that is serious?  Should I have it monitored?  Do I need to be careful with the physical activity I engage in?

Thanks you.

What is your thought?

IF your echo and stress tests were normal, I wouldn't pursue an asymptomatic right bundle branch block.

Is a RBBB something that is serious?

No.  It should cause you no symptoms.

Should I have it monitored?

I would agree with seeing a cardiologist every year for a few years.  If everything appears normal then, you could safely stop seeing a cardiologist for that issue.

Do I need to be careful with the physical activity I engage in?

I wouldn't advice special precautions for someone with an asymptomatic right bundle branch block.

The problem is that people with anxiety worry -- you can't change that.  It is easy for me to tell you not to worry, but people with anxiety issues have difficulty convincing themselves.  That is probably the trickiest problem you have for now.

I would advice you to follow with your cardiologist yearly for a few years and try to not to worry.

I hope this helps.  Thanks for posting.

I don't know how long that I've my RBBB.  RBBB & LBBB happen all together then it is a complete heart block.  Am I right?  Correct me if I'm wrong.  

If I have a chance I would ask the CCF's Dr this:

If leave the RBBB for too long (about 5-10 years), this is no choice because the dr don't care (not serious enough to care for).  Would an accessory pathway grows someway in the heart to take over or replace the transmission of the electrical impulse?  (Job used to perform by RBB) Anyone can answer this question?

Take a look of this:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/cardio/messages/35316.html

Take care, everyone.

Pika
I have been diagnosed with a RBBB for over 5 years now and it has posed no real issue.  Back about six months ago I experienced some fluttering feeling in my chest.  I went to the cardiologist that day with my EKG in hand (since my primary physician advised me to keep it handy becuase it showns my specific "fingerprint."  When the nurse practitioner heard my symsptom and saw the EKG she recommended some tests.  The cardiologist came in and while he was not too concerned he agreed.  The next two days I had, 2 EKG's, 2 Echo's, One stress thalium test and extensive bloodwork.  What came back was a little thickening of the septum and the cardiologist prescribed Toprol (25mg). He hgave me no limitations on physical activity (I play hockey) and just said to come back to get a regular echo.  Today I had episodes of that anoying fluttering feeling and being a hypochondria (and I am serious) I went immediately to my primary who did an EKG and listened to my heart and took blood pressure.  All was fine and he even said that MY EKG could be "traced over all the other ones and it would be identical."  I also took it a step further and contacted the Cardiologist after hours. He called back and stated "I wouldn't run to the em,ergency given your extensive workup. The only other thing I have noticed was the presence of GERG (belching the entire day). MY question is could my intense stress (and I mean intense) contribute to this episode?  I am looking to be calm and finally give myself a break; believe me it has been hard to be vividly aware of every issue in my body and react so negatively to it.  Thanks doctor for your help.
I don't think enough people with RBBB turn up.  It is still considering by the doc "not serious enough to look in"!  Only 2, may be just the case of co-incident (What they thought).  Take care.

Pika
I'm a 54 yo female. I've had RBBB for the last 15 years. I was told sometimes this can be a normal varient. I have a hx of inappropriate tachycardia and pvc's. They are being controlled by atenolol. I also have mild mitral valve regurg. Not sure if any of my symptoms were due to the RBBB or the mitral valve problem. I was told by my cardiologist that RBBB is found in many normal people and not to worry about it.