Heart Disease Expert Forum
Right Side Heart Failure

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Right Side Heart Failure

My mother who is 77 is being treated by a cardiologist for right side heart failure and has been on several medications for several years.  She takes medication for high blood pressure, heart arrythmia, and fluid retention.  She seems to be doing fine except for her ankles which are terribly swollen.  The doctor tells her to eliminate salt and stay off her feet.  She is the type of person who never questions the doctor.  My question is, can this problem with swollen ankles be alleviated with different medication or do some individuals simply have to live with this problem.  I'm thinking that she should see another cardiologist.
Dear Richard,
You are being a good son in your concern for your mother.  It's difficult for me to say if her treatment is adequate.  There are some individuals who are taking everything they should be taking and still have a mild-moderate amount of swelling.  If there is severe swelling then the medications probably need to be adjusted.  It nevers is wrong to get a second opinion if you are in doubt.  I would look for a doctor that specializes in heart failure.  If you wish to travel to Cleveland for a second opinion we have a special clinic for heart failure.  Best wishes.