Heart Disease Community
Right Ventricular Enlargment Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Right Ventricular Enlargment Pregnancy

A year ago I had an echo done because I was experiencing palpitations (extra beats etc..) and frequent episodes of tachycardia. It was completely normal except for mild mital and mild tricuspid regurgitation. I was put on Bisoporolol for the tachycardia and all was good. ( I have a couple of other medical issues - Mild bronchiectasis,recurrent pneumonia, thalessemia minor and hepatosplenomegaly)

I decided to try and get pregnant this year and asked my doctor if it was safe for the baby if I was to remain on Bisoporolol throughout my pregnancy (since it was working so well for my tachycardia). The cardioligist that I saw did another echo and the results were a little different from the previous year.  My most recent echo states...

Normal appearing mitral valve. Mild prolapse of the anterior mitral valve leaflet. Mild to moderate posteriorly directed mitral regurgitation is present

Tricuspid valve appears structurally normal. Mild- to moderate tricuspid regurgitation present.  The right ventricular systolic pressure is 35mmHg assuming RA pressure of 15 mmHg.

Everything else was normal so I was given the go ahead to get pregnant (I had to change beta blockers).

When my GP received a copy of the echo it also stated that the Right Ventricle was enlarged however, nobody had ever mentioned this previously and it was certainly not enlarged a year ago. My GP said that he would "look into it" (5 weeks ago) and I have seen him and called him since then and he is still looking into it!

Before I was aware of the Right Ventricle Enlargement I got pregnant...I am now eight weeks and I just wanted confirmation that having an Enlarged Right Ventricle is safe during pregnancy?