Heart Disease Community
Ripping or tearing sensation in chest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Ripping or tearing sensation in chest

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to experience an aortic or abdominal tear and have it heal on its own? I experience an excruciating ripping sensation in my chest a while back that extended into my back and down my abdomen. I was laying in bed watching tv and it came out of nowhere. I do have brain aneurysms and have certainly heard that you can have a leak in an annie and have it heal on its own. I know I need to see a doctor....believe it or not I've requested a referral to a cardiologist due to having extensive heart troubles that run in my family and he won't do it...so I am seeing a new doctor next week who will hopefully listen to me and give the referral. Since the time of that ripping or tearing sensation my legs often have a numbing sensation along with my arms. This feels more chronic than anything.

I've also had situations where it feels like my heart is jumping out of my chest and it takes my breath away.

This is also posted in the aneurysm forum.

Thank you!
Crwstar

Aortic leaks due to a dissection (crack in the wall), these can repair
themselves, but some aortic tears will not repair itself, and that would aortic tears or cracks nearest to the heart.  A rupture will not repair itself, and if it happens the probability is high for a fatal episode.
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the clarity. Often as you may know this makes the difference in how one can proceed in advocating for our own health needs.

An aortic leak vs a tear or a rupture..... Thank you, very helpful.
my brother in law went to te er because his legs were hurting him very bad and his chest and arms, they took him into surgery and 12 hours later he died, he had a tore/ripped aorti from his lower back up into his head. they worked on him for 12 hours  they got the tear repaired but could not get his heart to keep beating right, it was to much on his heart. i can tell you he could not stay at home when his happen he called 911, he was into much pain.
Is it likely that you would feel a tearing sensation from a tear in the aorta? When we develop from a young age, I thought that our brains had to 'learn' to make sense of the sensations that we feel so over time we could identify them. For example, feeling different textures on objects. To feel a tearing in the aorta, would the brain be able to identify this as a tearing as a first off?
Just curious.
Heartsfluttersflyawaypls, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother in law. Sounds like they diagnosed him quickly but it was to severe....I'm so sorry.

ed34...from what I've read it is a common complaint or symptom that people mention when there is a tear. I would imagine that enough peope over time mentioned it and more likely a study was done where people were asked what were their symptoms and a common thread was found. For me it sounded like a piece of paper ripping only it was in my body.....not pleasant at all.  I can appreciate what kenkeith wrote though which emphasis that there are different stages including a chronic state where the aorta dissects over a period of time. Hmmm, Don't know if that addresses what you were asking or not. :-)