Heart Disease Expert Forum
Risk factors for Peri-partum Cardiomyopathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Posted by Cathy on April 15, 1999 at 13:01:54

I have been diagnosed as having had a moderate silent heart attack.  I am 35 years old and would like to attempt a pregnancy (my first). My doctor's have not discouraged me from attempting a pregnancy. My EF is around 50 and I have no symptoms other than frequent palpitations. My coronary arteries are normal, and I have no clotting disorders or other illnesses.  Does my prior history of silent MI put me at an increased risk for developing peri-partum cardiomyopathy?   What other complications could I be at an increased risk for ?  
Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on April 15, 1999 at 15:25:21

Dear Cathy,
How was the heart attack diagnosed?  Was it a heart cath that demonstrated the normal coronary arteries?
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.
Posted by Cathy on April 20, 1999 at 12:09:07
Yes, I had a heart cath that showed evidence of the silent MI but normal coronary arteries. The possible causes I was given was (1) blood clot (although I have been tested for clotting disorders with normal results (2) spasm, which I haven't been tested for (should I be?)  and (3) virus, which the cardiologist said was unlikely since it would usually cause widespread damage.  Does this give you enough info?
Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on April 20, 1999 at 16:01:30
Dear Cathy,
Yours is a somewhat unusual case and I question somewhat the diagnosis of a heart attack.  There is no know association between peripartum cardiomyopathy and prior heart attack but there is very limited research in this particular area.  Did you ever have any symptoms of a heart attack, i.e. chest pain, shortness of breath?  
Posted by Cathy on April 20, 1999 at 16:53:14

The only symptom I had was palpitations, which I brought to the attention of my primary care physician during a routine physical.  She heard a murmur and ordered an echo and EKG to rule out Mitral Valve Prolapse. The echo and EKG showed abnormalities, as did a thallium stress test.  It was after the cath that I was told I had had a "silent" MI - they said they could see the scar from a prior MI but my coronary arteries were normal.  My cardiologists have told me I am a very unusual case, but I have been given no real answers as far as what caused this.   If it wasn't a heart attack, what could have caused the damage they have seen?  I do not smoke, drink or do drugs. I was on the Pill but stopped taking it after this diagnosis on my doctor's recommendation.   Could stress have caused this?  How does all this affect my chances of having a successful pregnancy?

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on April 20, 1999 at 17:29:14
Stress can not cause a heart attack.  I guess the best working diagnosis is a blood clot.  If you have a clotting disorder this would be more of a concern than the heart for getting pregnant and you may need to see a hematologist (blood doctor) if your doctors recommend it.
Information provided here is for general educational purposes only. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and treatments. If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please Call 1 - 800 - CCF - CARE for an appointment at Desk F15 with a cardiologist.