Heart Disease Expert Forum
Risk of Endocarditis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Risk of Endocarditis?

Hello

I woke up the other day with an imflamated wisdom tooth wich became infected...I went to the dentist after 3 days the inflamation (inflammation) started and he gave me amoxiline. On the 5th day II took the tooth out and continued with the amoxiline for 7 days total. I am fine now and the tooth is healed up....

My questios is: Should I worry for endocarditis because of those 3 days? Will the amooxiline I took afterthe 3 days for 7 days kill any bacteria which could have entered my heart?

My family doctor annd the dentists told me not to worry, but i am hypocondriac and need more assurance...

Please help me

thank you
While a tooth infection (or infection of any kind) increases the risk for endocarditis -- this is primarily in those individuals who have structural heart or valvular disease, prosthetic heart valves and/or a history of previous infective endocarditis.  Because of which, the ACC/AHA recommends antibiotic prophylaxis for those individuals (above) who are to undergo any invasive surgical or dental procedures.  Unless you have one of the aforementioned issues, your risk is very very low and have no need to worry about this.

Just to add i did heart tests recently and it was all ok...