Heart Disease Community
Risk of undergoing Upper G.I after Angioplasty

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I was diagnosed with Barettes Esophagus in Aug. 06, however due to irritation in the lining of the esophagus GI physician was not able to determine whether Barettes was high grade/low grade. I was scheduled to have repeat Upper GI in January 07. In Dec. 06, I was admitted into the hospital with chest pain and underwent angiogram and subsequent angioplasty. I have 2 plavix chemically coated stents. Post procedure I went into unexplained blood pressure loss, was admitted into the ER and was given blood transfusion. Cardiologist recommnded undergoing Upper endoscopy one year post angioplasty procedure. Now more than one year is up. However upper GI physician has given me a long list of risks involved with the procedure. Any articles that can give me more information of risk involved for upper GI procedure. I have to be off plavix and aspirin for 5 days. GI is laying out the following risk factors;
a. excessive bleeding which will make him unable to take 11 samples
b. sudden death (caused by total blockage of the artery)
c. If indeed it is a high grade displasia, this leaves 2 options: a. shaving off the esophagus lining or b. total esophagus removal.

I am also trying to find hospitals within the US. who have a very strong focus on the Upper GI area/Barettes esphophagus and a very strong heart division. Please help.
Regards
Hari
Tags: irritable