Heart Disease Expert Forum
Rupture of the aorta from ballon catheter

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

: : : :
  : : : : I'm doing a study on the mentioned subject after observing such an incident.  I'm having trouble finding case studies from Medline.  I'm curious as too how often this actually occurs and perhaps some case studies or periodicals you would recommend.  
  : : : : I understand that post is not a priority.  I have no immediate problem but would really appreciate you help.
  : : : : Thank you
  : : : ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
  : : : Dear  Frank,
  : : : I have never heard of a case of aortic rupture following angioplasty.  Could you give some details of the case in question?
  : : : Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
  : : : If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.
  : : My mistake Doctor.  I should have given you more details.  I witnessed a rupture of the aorta in a cath lab.  The procedure was the attempted enlargement of an aortic stenosis, coarctation of the aorta to be exact.  The balloon was inflated three times.  The first two inflations proved no reduced pressure.  On the third time the aorta burst and the patient (18yr female) died three hours later dispite all extra-heroic efforts.  I hope I've explained things better.  I would appreciate your help
  : -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  : Dear Frank,
  : The procedure you are referring to is called a valvuloplasty.  It is not commonly done for aortic valves.  A potential, but rare, complication is aortic rupture.  I doubt there are that many other cases of this occuring in the literature.  Thanks for the additional information.
  Dear Frank,
       My wife underwent a procedure recently that included angioplasty and the placement of a stent into her aorta.  She had a coart that was 2.8 mm (normal is 18-20 mm).  The doctor who performed the procedure has done dozens of these.  He told us he has never had a major complication with the procedures he has done.  I have also done some research of my own and have not found much data on an aorta rupturing during angioplasty.  By the way,  my wife is doing fine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear J,
An angioplasty is very different from a valvuloplasty.  An angioplasty involves work inside an artery and a valvuloplasty is work on a heart valve.  They use similar techniques but the risks are very different.
Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.

1 Comment
A related discussion, Fitting a stent inmy aorta was started.