Heart Disease Expert Forum
Rx for Atrial Fibrillation - Established and in Phase Trials

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have searched the CCF web site thoroughly as well as the forum Q and A and do not find anything on dofetilide (Tikosyn).  There is considerable on amiodarone.  It is my understanding that CCF have had good results with dofetilide.  Do you have references for me to follow up to learn more about this anti-arrythmetic especially in regard to trial results and usually encountered side effects etc.  (I do have Pfizers Rx sheets) .
Also, are there any phase trials presently under way at CCF on some newer anti-arrythmetics reported in press releases that are atrial specific and considerably less pro-arrythmic such as CVT 510? (C.V. Thjerapeutics)
Any light you can shed on the above would be most appreciated.  CCF is well deserving of their growing heart center reputation.
Dear JL,

Dofetilide is a newer drug and there is thus less info.  We use it on a regular basis here and have had good results.  It does need to be started in the hospital because there is a risk of Torsades during the first doses.  The main side-effect is prolongation of the QT interval.  We are not currently involved in any studies of the newer antiarrhythmic drugs but may be in the future.
there is a clinical research study going on nationwide on a drug for atrial fibrillation.  the drug is called azimilide.  i believe the test is done by procter & gamble.  

i was on this trial drug and unfortunately, it did not keep me out of atrial fibrillation after months of trial.  i would go back into afib, be cardioverted and put on the medicine again only to go back into afib.

but i do know other people who have been on this trial for several years with great success.    

i am in cincinnati, ohio and the trial here is run by the Carl Lindner Research Center at Christ Hospital.  it might be helpful to inquire to your cardiologist or ep doctor about this.  

the hospital number is 513/585-2000.  they should be able to connect you with the lindner research center.  good luck and if you need more info, i will try to find out for you.
Try searching PubMed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/

You'll find plenty of info there.