Heart Disease Community
SCAD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

SCAD

I was diagnosed with Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection in August 2008. I haven´t read much on the internet yet since I´m still trying to find a way to handle this mentally but I would really like to hear from somebody who has the same diagnosis and can tell me how life has been afterwards.  
I had the same diagnosis.  Which coronary Artery was involved?  Have you had previous heart problems?  
I had several months earlier had three stents placed in my Right Coronary Artery.  It was a struggle to get the stents in where the blockages were located as my RCA is very twisted.  I think either the artery was torn during the stent placement or more probably, the artery between two of the stents, which is where the artery tore was weakened by vibrations caused by a tethering effect of the stents.  At any rate, a very long (25mm) stent repaired the damage during the procedure.  I came in by ambulance with a great deal of pain, but the stent fixed me up quickly and certainly within a week I was back to normal activities.  I had three stents placed in my LAD a year prior to the three stents in the RCA and Spontaneous Dissection, and have had one since.  I work out aerobically every day and lift weights twice a week, I'm 67 years old, so I can say it didn't affect  mentally or physically very much, but I'm quite used to heart problems.  When I had my first heart attack in the year 2000 it definitely put me in quite a depression for a few months and I was afraid to do much of anything that would tax me physically.  
Were you given a reason for the event?  Where you given any warnings about physical activity?
Hope that helps.

Thank You for the positive answer!
My doctors believe this is after me having a baby in May. 3 arteries are affected, two on the left side. With no previous history of heart problems. Seems to happen to women between ages 34-54 within 12 weeks of delivery.
The advice I had is to follow my body´s signals and increase my activities slowly and safely.
I´m very glad things are fine with You! Gives me great hope to see my baby daughter, Saga, grow up!
Hi, just to let you know, I was diagnosed with SCAD following a cardiac arrest on 31st July 2008.  I have four daughters, the youngest is five, and I had no medical problems prior to this unexpected event, although I had border-line hypertension.  I think stress played a big part and possibly hormones. I am living life as normal although I confess to feeling scared at times not knowing what the future holds.  I have just joined this website to find out more about the condition, to share my fears and pass on information to others.
I just returned from the hospital yesterday after an Angiogram confirmed the exact spot of my dissection.  I am very fortunate that it was at the very distal edge of one of the arteries that support the heart.  I was told because at age 60 it is even rarer for this to occur.  It mostly happens to younger women who have give birth.  It should repair itself.  As you know a  true SCAD attack has nothing to do with a blocked or clogged aorta or artery but a disseciton.  My Angiogram image showed exactly that.  As if someone took a knife and cut right through the tip of my artery.  Because there really isn't much written on SCAD the team of Cardiolgist have put me on an aspirin a day, 10mg of Lisinipril and 25mg of Metoptolol.  I was borderline hypertension so both meds should support my BP and heart.  I have led a heathy lifestyle and I have a very strong heart and after two weeks of resting to alllow the cath site to heal I can resume my happy and healthy lifestyle.