Heart Disease Expert Forum
SEVERE LEFT ATRIAL DILATION

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

SEVERE LEFT ATRIAL DILATION

I had an echocardiogram and it showed that I have SEVERE ATRIAL DILATION.  I am 38 and at age 10 had rheumatic fever.  I now have heart palpitations and tachycardia and am on medication for the tachycardia (Toprol XL).

What exactly does the Atrial Dialtion mean and can it be the reason for the palpitations and tachycardia?  Is this reversible?  I am also overweight, will losing weight help?

I am really scared and dont know what to do.  Is there anything I can do?

Help please!!

The left Artium was 5.0 cm.  I also had a trace of MR

I would appreciate ANY help or advise!!!
It is usually a manifestation of valvular or congenital heart disease. Do you have any mitral stenosis or a PFO or ASD? These are the usual causes of severe LA dilatation. Other causes include coronary artery disease or severe or uncontrolled hypertension.
The only thing that shows on the report is a trace of a mitral valve leak.  No PFO or ASD.

I think the cause was my Rheumatic fever when I was 10 years old (28 years ago).

My question is, what can/can't I do, can I exercise?  Should I be on an anticoagulant?
Would you consider a dilation of 5.0 SEVERE?  That is what was on the report.  (My primary care Dr. hasn't bothered to call me yet, I just got a copy of the report (I have been in the medical field for 18 years- so I do know a little bit).

I am just scared to exercise - for fear of having a stroke!  Will losing weight help, or is this a permanent enlargement?

Thank you

Sally
A related discussion, normal value of lvef was started.
A related discussion, Ascending aortic was started.