Heart Disease Expert Forum
SOB & sinus tachy after heart ablation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

SOB & sinus tachy after heart ablation

I had an ablation on the 11th (almost 2 weeks ago). They picked up atrial flutter and burned an "extra pathway." They put me on blood thinner for 30 days (xyralto). I suffered tachy episodes for years that would raise my bp and just made me extremely ill. They would happen out of the blue & land me at the ER. I was put on heart medication which kept me out of most episodes but made me feel like I had no life. Before the ablation, I noticed a shortness of breath with exertion that would make me go sit down for a while. The hubby and I went to Florida and i just could not keep up at all. I was extremely drained. We left Epcot after an hour because I became extremely fatigued. I have not been on heart medication for over 2 weeks and 2 days now. While outside a few days ago, I became SOB and had to come back inside and just rest. I did notice my heart rate was climbing to about 126. Yesterday, I began to get some dizzy and nauseated. The heart rate went to over 135 and it did come down but only to about 116 at rest. I felt ill, SOB, & nauseated, so hubby took me to the ER. My bp was elevated, 152/97 and I had sinus tachy but my EKG was normal and all blood work was normal, so I was allowed to go home. This felt similar to the episodes before I was placed on heart medication. I am 47 and want to add that I had 2, 10-20% plaque in LAD (widow-maker) in 2008. I have passed yearly stress tests. Can someone comment on this in the aspect of: Does this mean the ablation did not work? Could this be from surgery & healing? In the back of my mind, I worry about that mild CAD. I guess no one knows what the blockages are at now but I passed my stress test a few months ago. I hate the thought of going back on heart medication. I just want to be able to travel without fear of going into episodes. I know that getting out of breath isn't normal. My lungs are fine. Any suggestions?
You should see your physician about your symptoms.  It is possible he will want to have you on either a holter monitor or event monitor to check for arrhythmias as well as an echo to check your heart function.  The lesions in your LAD are very mild and if you have had recent stress tests that are negative these lesions are unlikely to be contributing to your symptoms.  However if you continue to have these symptoms and all other tests are normal your physician may want you to have a heart catheterization to make sure the lesions are still mild.  This decision will be up to your physician of course and will be based on his index of suspicion of your coronary disease.