Heart Disease Community
SOMETHING IS WRONG

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

SOMETHING IS WRONG

Im a 34 year old man 6ft 205 and for the last year i have been having chest pains and now im starting to get all these weird symptoms.

Now i have a constant chest pressure that never goes away, i have palpitations or an irregular pulse that i notice causes me shortness of breath.
I sometimes have a stiff feeling in my neck and numbness in my left arm and hand. Also my throat is itchy alot and in the morning when i wake up i have a lot of phlem. Alot of times i get a slight rash on my face and also there is times where my whole body feels itchy all over. I also get heartburn alot.
These symptoms seem to get worse when i lay down to go to sleep or in the middle of sleep. As of lately i have been feeling a slight pain under the left and right sides of my ribcage aswell.
I have also been told my liver is a little more then 2x normal. I was a really heavy binge drinker for like 15 years, when i was in my 20's i was always drunk. I still drink on weekends but not to much. I also smoked for 15 years but only smoke now when i drink.

My doctor has told me first it was a thyroid issue, then a couple months later told me it was not. He also put me on anxiety meds that didnt work at all. its seems to me i need a new doctor because this guy is doing absolutly nothing to help me, and is taking forever to get it right.
I DONT WANT TO DIE!
Oh, also i have had an EKG done at the hospital twice, both times they said i was fine.
Hi Rich, An EKG can't detect everything. I think you have some blockages going on. See a Cardoilogist and discuss this with him. He will probably do an angio-gram which will let them see the arterys inside your heart and any blockages there. You may need a stent to open up the blockage, if you have one. Don't wait too long to do this and good luck I hope its somethings else not as serious but think you should go and find out. :)  I found out I had a blockage in my aortic value the Left ventricule had a 95% blockage and the ENT"S had just done an EKG and said my heart was fine.
thanks. i actually have an appointment with a cardoilogist this month. Whats a stent, and would it require them opening up my chest?
Rich,

You need to start with a stress test before jumping to a cath (angiogram). Most of your symptoms can also be explained by having liver cirrhosis. A liver twice it's normal size is going to put pressure on your other organs and cause some discomfort. Also, if your liver is not able to properly cleanse your blood it may be leaving byproducts that are causing your palps as well.

When you see the cardiologist, I would discuss a stress test before a much more invasive and risky procedure such as a cath. Most cardiologists won't do one until they have a positive stress test anyways, but that's where I would start.

Good luck,

Jon
Thanks. The doctor didnt say my liver was twice normal size, he said the levels where twice the normal. I wasnt that big of a drinker to have cirrosis (cirrhosis) already..lol. But yeah, im going to ask him about the stress test
Hi, When they gave me the stress test I passed the physical part, but in the chemical stress they found a problem & then went to angio-gram. A stent is a less invasive procedure where they your femoral artery as a portal and watch on a screen as they take it up to your heart and place it where needed. There are two types, medicated and non-medicated. Since I had mine done (mine was medicated) there has been some controversy about the medicated stent. The stent itself is a metal shealthing that holds the placgue back so the blood can flow correctly. Sometimes if they find multiple blockages they will decide to heart by-pass surgery, which is the one you were thinking of..Good Luck Rich
My opinion is that if you don't want to die then its time to get a second opinion from a doc that doesn't "think" it is a thyroid issue or something else.  You want a difinitive answer and you need to get it sooner rather then later in my opinion.  Sounds to me like you need a complete work up done to rule out the most acute issues and to me any doc that "thinks" needs to be replaced w. a doc that uses the words "you have" or "this is what we need to do"  In this day of medical science and all that is open to us thru testing there should be no "i think but am uncertains" out there especially if your life depends on it.  What you are describing is throwing red flags all over the field here and you need to get an answer.....if you keep having pressure in your chest...shortness of breath...pain along the left side of your arm, shoulder or jaw you seriously need to head to an emergency room.  I would not back off until you get the answers you need especially if you are this fearful the answers are out there thru medical professionals who are sitting there waiting for you to walk in thru the door to help you thru this.....the positive note is that you are aware of everything that is going on w you and are on alert for the symptoms and it doesn't sound like they are going to go away on their own so time to get help from someone that you trust and knows what the heck they are doing.  Good luck to you and please let us know what happens okay....i will be looking for your post.....
yeah..i been to the emergency room 3 times and the only thing i came away with was a $900 bill each time and no awnsers except your EKG and blood tests where fine....mean wile the pain is still there. and my stupid doctor looks at me like im crazy and like..oh its just anxiety....yeah...OK!
They have obviously run blood tests to look at your enzyme levels, which is a pretty accurate way to detect if your heart is being damaged through blockages (Ischaemia). I agree with erijon, there are other ways to detect blockages before the invasive and more risky angiogram. A wire passed through your arteries does pose risk, although small. It can dislodge existing plaque causing a blockage in the heart or brain, which will also release the soft plaque beneath which can also cause terrible damage. The catheter also has the possibility, although rare again, of going through the artery wall causing internal bleeding. I would rather a stress echo or treadmill test as a first measure. If everyone with some kind of discomfort was thrown onto an angio suite table, over 90% would be found to have been a waste of time and there will likely be a rise in mishaps, let alone the sheer volume of extra patients would require millions more angio suites being built. We can all think the worse, panic and start demanding extreme measures, but I agree with Erijon on this.
Just a thought, I trust they've tested for pancreatitis, which is very painful in the chest area, and brought about usually by too much alcohol.
dont have any of the symptoms for pancreatitis except the chest pain, and weakness.