Heart Disease Expert Forum
SV ectopy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

SV ectopy

HI,
I recently had an event monitor and recorded an episode of irregular heartbeat, it lasted about a half hour and was documented as sv ectopy , bigemy. This rythm occurs quite often now and it is extremely uncomfortable.  I have mitral stenosis (valvuloplasyt in 3 weeks) and aortic insufficiency.  Is it dangerous if it occurs during the procedure? And is this rythm a precursor to A-fib?  I am also wondering if once the mitral valve is opened up will that cause the left ventricle to enlarge (it is now right at 56mm) due to the increased amount of blood coming from the LA along with the already present regurg from the aortic valve?  I know they do this to lessen the symptoms of mitral stenosis, is it worth it if the consequences are LV enlargement and eventual dysfunction?
thank you
Dear Papaley,

Sorry to hear about your medical condition. SV ectopy or supraventricular ectopy is suggestive of premature atrial contractions (PACs). However, given that you have mitral stenosis it is very likely that you are experiencing episodes of atrial fibrillation at times. Atrial fibrillation is very common in people with mitral stenosis.

The valvuloplasty will decrease the amount of mitral stenosis, therefore allowing improved blood flow  from the left atrium to the left ventricle. Currently, the flow from the left atrium to the left ventricle is restricted (below normal) and the left atrium has to work abnormally hard to fill the left venticle. By relieving this stenosis blood flow into the left ventricle will be closer to normal (not above normal) and the pressure in the left atrium should diminish, in addition to some of your symptoms. The procedure should result in better overall cardiac function and  should not result in left ventricular enlargement or dysfunction. Hope your valvuloplasty goes well.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE
Thank you for your thoughtful response.  My doctor thinks I have bouts of A-Fib and is very worried about it due to the mitral stenosis. The report said sinus rhythm, SV ectopy with bigeminy. rate 81-94.  But when it was happening I could only count 45BPM.  Is this A-fib and if so, why wouldn't it have been marked on the report.  It was an event monitor not a holter.  He is debating if he should put me on coumadin, I do not want to have a stroke!
Thanks again,
fdeg
Thanks again,
fdeg