Heart Disease Expert Forum
SVT, Antihistamines & decongestants
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

SVT, Antihistamines & decongestants

I have SVT, PAC's & PVC's.  My physician told me to be careful taking cold medicines, and now I can't remember which he told me to avoid:  Antihistamines or Decongestants.  Any advice?
Related Discussions

_
Dear Kim,
Call your physician regarding the specific recommendations that you understandably forgot, in the meanwhile, avoid all over the counter prepartions if possible especially ones that contain stimulants (this likely includes all decongestants.)  Benedryl is a safe "cold" or sinus medication for you to take (this drug tends to make people drowsy) and it represents a first generation antihistamine; the next generation antihistamines are for the most part safe but your doctor should be recommending a specific one to you if you need it (like allegra or claritin) especially because these are prescription drugs.
Call your doctor this week and write down the medications that are ok and over the counter, and consider taking a prescription antihistamine that might help you to avoid over the counter medications (this is usually the case for allergies, not transient cold symptoms.)
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for
general purposes only.  Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.
Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!

Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...