Heart Disease Expert Forum
SVT and Panic Attack

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

SVT and Panic Attack

Posted by Ronald on April 29, 1999 at 20:20:58
First I would like to thank you all again for the wonderful site like this.
I was having this SVT for about almost 9 mos. now and currently on Cardizem 120MG and Atenolol 25MG for the past couple of months I've been getting SVT attacks almost everyday, the following are the caused of each attacks (driving in the freeway alone esp. traffic, work stress, shopping in the store and sometimes seeing a dentist) all these last for more than 30 seconds to 5 minutes then I was seen by a counselor and suggested to see a Psychatrist who can tell if I'm suffering from Panic Disorder which she thinks that it could be because she used to treat patient with SVT but actually wasn't an SVT at all. Since I met this Psychatrist month ago I've learned to cope with my Anxiety/Panic that really helps me to understand on my body reaction as well as mind and now I have not been to any SVT attack so far since I've talked to this Psychatrist.  So my Question is, Is it possible to some Patients with SVT (no heart disease, ekg fine, blood test normal, holter monitor normal and stress test normal) to misdiagnosed by a Specialist or a Cardiologist? Is it really a Panic Attacks that which most Patients thought that it's their Heart but actually their Minds. Thanks so much for the time.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - MTR on April 30, 1999 at 13:55:31
Dear Ronald, thank you for your question.  The only way to diagnose SVT is by recording a fast heart rhythm consistent with SVT on a cardiac monitor during an attack.  I don't know where you were given the diagnosis of SVT, but if your ECG, Holter monitor, ECG, and stress test were normal, then I doubt you have SVT.  I think you should speak with the physician who originally made this diagnosis.  Quite possibly, panic attacks are being confused with SVT.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.  Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.