SVT and ablation
I have been dagnosed with SVT and told that an ablation will help avoid being on beta blockers the rest of my life. I feel no ill effects from this condition. I exercise daily, power walking 5 miles every morning and in summer swimming at least half a mile a day too. However having read some of the posts on this site, it seems this advice from my cardiologist could be wrong. I am due to meet with specialists at John Hopkins shortly. What should I do?
Dear Chiefslacker:  I had afib for about 12 years and had to be shocked back into rhythm 12-15 times... I had an ablation 3 years ago due to the fact that I was having to be shocked back into rhythm every 3-4 months and that was getting old.  I was 68 when I had the first ablation.  I had to get a second one last year for pvcs... and am pretty much ok now...but Im still on beta blockers... ( 5 mgs Bystolic)... I would say if it isnt bothering you, personally I would not run the risk of having an ablation and something going wrong.... and it happens...most of the time it doesnt happen...however an ablation can go wrong and really mess you up... but again if its not bothering you and you have a good life.. why risk the downside of an ablation... It may get worse with time.. I dont know your age now.. but your probably not as old as I am... I will also add that it seems to me the ablations are getting to be more successful the more they do..and as time goes on.. soooo... If it were me ...and its not... I would not have one now as long as you dont have problems that bother your day to day activities.. but I would keep in mind that ablations are a possibility if the problem increases with age in the future.... which it very well could...hope this helps... just my opinion ...doesnt mean its correct..laughing....Have a great day Claytex
I am also considering an ablation. After not having any episodes for over a year, i've now been hit with 4 in the past 3 months and they are not as easy as they were to stop with vagal maneuvers. I'm scared about when and where the next one will hit.
I've read about really successfully ablations and some really horrible ones too.
I honestly don't know what to do.
If you are not bothered by your episodes, then I wouldn't do it.
Look at my profile......you will be on something.....
Once your on it for any length of time 6mths to a
year your body will need it. but if it works? Hmm
My first episode 2004 went 4 years just on Cardizem
with out ablations 2008 started to progressively get
worse. Go talk with J.Hopkins but try meds. first see
what the Dr. says, most would say the less evasive way
first......