Heart Disease Community
Scar tissue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Scar tissue

I have a question about scar tissue build up in my stents. I have had 7 DES stents in the RCA bypass graft since August of 2009. How many times can you be restented and are there any other options? I am a 54 year female. I have been doing my best in following everything my cardiologist says to do, I am so dissapointed. Is there anything eles I can do? He changed me from Plavix w/ asprin to Effient 10mg w/ asprin. I am having slight symptoms again(left arm weakness upon exertion. The last 3 stents were put in in July 10, I am not scheduled for a stress test until January 11
In theory there is not really a limit to the number of stents you can have. Everywhere there's an artery lining, you can have a stent except if the vessel is too small. There have even been cases where a stent has been put inside an already existing stent.
I know you are fed up, but I am glad stents were invented, what would we do without them.

There has to be a good reason why you are forming so much disease. Trying to slow it down or stop it can be a nightmare and it is believed that it's just simply genetic with some people, and I believe the genes have been identified now.
First you obviously have to make sure your blood pressure is normal. However, you must ensure you accompany this with stress avoidance. It's no good going to the Doctors, having your blood pressure found to be normal while relaxing in the waiting room, and then returning home to a highly stressful life.
Secondly you have to obviously get your LDL cholesterol low and get your HDL higher.
Thirdly a daily walk of at least 30 mins, starting gently and getting into a quick stroll. This is very good exercise for the cardiovascular system and not too strenuous. Swimming is a great alternative. Once your cholesterol is low, study nutritional information on the internet or seek a good dietician. Start eating foods that are known to contain vitamins/minerals that are good for blood vessels.
Vitamin A, B1,B2,B6,B12, well I'll stop there because the list is huge. The important thing is to have them in natural foods, not capsules. The human body is made to break down things, not have them done for you.
I hope that I've given you some useful advice and I'm sure you will get there.
Thank you for responding ed34. My blood pressure usually runs anywhere from 120/70 to 110/60. So I do well with that. I just gave up my restuarant after 12 years because of the stress (it was only a seasonal cafe, operating during summer months). Certainly my cholesterol levels could be improved. I work out at Curves(curciut training) 3 days per week, I have problems walking any distance, I am dealing with back issues and currently am being tested for PAD, I want to walk, but I would like to do it without so much pain. Don't have access to a pool or I would swim.

My concern is that I have 7 stents in 1 artery. I have had 3 bypass grafts and the problem artery is the RCA. I wondered how many times they can restent that same artery, I can't seem to get passed 3 to 6 months before it closes up again.
I take fish oil, CoQ10, L Carnitine and niacin 500mg and a multiple vitamin. I also do eat pretty healthy other than I eat too much. But I am cutting my portions now and losing the weight too!
Thank you for your good advice.
The restaurant may have been the key to your disease. I had a lot of stress too for years, and consequently have had a triple bypass and six stents. However, my disease did stop in its tracks once I really cut the stress down, but it did take a little while, about a year. You seem to get so used to being stressed that you no longer realise you are.
It looks like you've made some great changes in your life and I'm sure things will get better. How about cycling? would that hurt your back if you got a bicycle where you don't have to lean over much?
Funny...I have been thinking about purchasing a bike. I live on a small lake that has a 3 mile bike path around it.
Sounds like a lovely ride and would be ideal :)