Heart Disease Expert Forum
Scared and frustrated

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Scared and frustrated

For the past year I have been having an odd feeling. Sometimes it feels like a slight flutter in my throat other times it feels like a stronger heart beat in my upper chest. (no other symptoms)
One doctor did an ekg and holter monitor and said everything is okay dont worry about it. Another doctor said that it sounded like thyroid. Thyroid blood work came back normal but they did find a tiny nodule through a ultrasound. I am only 25 years old and sometimes I feel this on/off all day (like yesterday) and other times I can go days without feeling it at all. It seemed to have mostly been in the evenings (maybe cause I was resting) except for yesterday it was on/off all day. Basically I am really irritaed by this and it gets scarey. It seems none of the doctors are even concerned but it bothers me. My pulse always seems to be normal when this happens. 60-100 bpm depends on what I'm doing. I dont think thats abnormal. I have also been a person to belch quite frequently. Basically can you give me any advice as to what this could be and what I should do about it, its really frustrating. Thank you so much
Dear DN,

First, you should have this thyroid nodule fully evaluated by your physician.

As far as the fluttering in you heart and throat area, this likely represents PVc's or premature ventricular contractions.  This are very common and, in the presence of a normal heart , are of no medical consequence.  In the meantime, reduce your level of caffeine and stress and they will likely decrease.

You may check some of the many postings under PVC at this web site.

I get the same feelings.  Does it feel like your heart skips?  Mine does.  This morning I was laying in bed and it skipped about every 5 minutes or so until I got up.  It is a very scarey feeling.
sounds like premature ventricular contractions (PVC's)to me, which, by themselves are benign. they could be a symptom of another more severe problem. if the ecg and holter were negative, i wouldnt worry about it (easier said than done)....stay away from caffein and especially alcohol....try to get more sleep. this all works for me. if they get too bad, maybe you could discuss having your doc put you on 25mg of atenolol (tenormin), (or some other selective beta-blocker) a day...in all but the most severe cases, this will put an end to it.
actually I cannot say that my heart does skip a beat. I cant feel my heart beating unless I am lying on that side. Other than that I dont feel it. And I dont know if it even is my heart, thats why I posted this. I also cannot take anything because I am 9 weeks pregnant!! Thanks for your advice
It sounds exactly like what I feel when I have a PVC.  Which are basically harmless in most cases, but very bothersome to those of us who can feel them.  A lot of people that have them never feel them from what I understand.  Sometimes they can treat this with a beta blocker or other forms.  Since you are pregnant, it might be best to just deal with the feelings.  Good Luck...
I think I have the same thing, I went to my doctor and he did test, and he claims I have to much stress, I know exactly how you feel, sometimes its in my throat and other times it is im my chest area, I kind of lose my breath with it also, It is very scarry. I know how you feel. Are you under alot of stress, did your doctor ever say that. Write me if you want to at ***@**** I am only 33 yrs. old, I feel like I should not have this too.
This is for Jan, How did they find out about your sisters spasms, what did they do?  Let me know I am at ***@****, let me know her symptoms too, I have a feeling that mine has something to do with that, alot of times it happens when I am done eatting. Please let me know. Thanks, Susan
They gave my sister Prilosec, suspecting she had a hiatal hernia and since it worked, they chalked it up to that.  With the hiatal hernia she feels the spasms in her throat and chest and sometimes she gets acid reflux (which can lead to belching).  She has a very stressful life, so she was given Zanax,also, which she says helps her symptoms alot.  She takes the Zanax more often than the Prilosec because she realizes it is from stress.  She practices biofeed back, too.  I hope this helps you.
For some reason she experiences these often after eating.
Have any of you had your gallbladder checked out for gallstones?  My husband suffered with similar feelings (what he called a "funny feeling" to close to his heart.  We spent quite a few days & nights at the ER.  He also has GERD (acid reflux).  He did not have pain but would get more or less a feeling of dread - he really thought it was his heart and he was dying.  I don't think he's been sick a day since his surgery 3 years ago.
I tried to stop smoking 1 year ago and took Zyban.  The severe heart palpatations started then.  It goes beat, beat, beat.....pause beat beat beat.  Feels like a dip, like getting butterflied in your stomach.  I would feel short of breath, so for the longest time I thought it was my lungs.  I started smoking again.  They became so severe that one day, my heart rate went up to 140 and I felt sick to my stomach and thought I was having a heart attack (I am only 34-not that that matters).  So, I went for a battery of tests, heart monitor etc. and the cardiologist said it was smoking and coffee and I couldn't be treated until I gave up both.  April 2000 I started taking Zyban again.  I quit this time for 2 weeks.  The first week I felt great, then the 2nd week the heart palpatations became so severe the doctor prescribed anti-anxiety pills.  They worked for the first two days.  Then they returned so severe, I stopped taking zyban and within a week they were gone.  I have started smoking again and only get them maybe 2-3 times a week.  Explain this one?  Quit smoking and quit drinking coffee and they will go away - BULL.  There is some other answer - I do get them when I drink alcohol - but never use to.  I am convinced, it is the zyban - it has done something to my brain.  I have had these for years, but they would come once every 3 months, sometimes 6 months---until I took the zyban.  How can I have this reversed.  Although Zyban is excellent in helping you quit - no side effects at all (except the first week) - It has altered something in my brain.
hi i have had flutters and papations since i was 23, they are bad at times and small at others. ive been to many doctors and they all tell me not to worry. they even went away for two years now they are back and have been bad the last two weeks so i went back and wore a heart montor for 4 days . the dr said it was just extra beats not to worry easy for him to say, i do worry and i think it makes it worse, but i know it has not killed me yet so i try and ack like they are not there sometimes it works most times it dont, i have panic attacks from them some times, they are scary and its not easy to ack like you dont feel them, but i guess the dr are right and they are nothing. i have a lot of belching to so sometimes i wonder if its not from my stomack . who knows i have also had gall bladder surgery and i still have the problems so mine was not from that. its nice to be able to talk to ya and know iam not the only one having these . i guess we just need to try and live with them , and i have iam now 40 and been having them a long time so please if you have them go to dr , than try and relax they are very commom.
A few weeks agor I took my pulse anf it was 155, the next day it was 123.  Last week I was on a rollercoaster and blacked out. I now have atightening feelind like consatnt presurre in my upper left arm.................should I be concerned?
I have the skipping then hard thump, have had it non stop since October, did the holt monitor, showed an elevation at one point up to 185...have an appt with cardiologist end of May, my blood pressure is too low already to put me on beta blockers...

question, I am on zoloft 25 mgs, could that be contributing to this? I also smoke marijuana occasionally, wondering if that is contributing to the palpitations, but I wake up with it & go to bed with it, doesn't seem to matter how long in between smokes, and I smoke very little when I do.
I have gerd and Barrets esophogus and occasionally expirience chest pain, sometimes severe. It is often precursed by pvcs very frequent, about 10-12 per minute. While undergoing endoscopic esophageal dilation, I noticed on the monitor these unifocal pvcs
but the DR. was not worried and said a lot of folks have them. I know I didnt have them Two years ago because I expirenced my first chest pain episode while taking Phenfin and was diagnosed with Barrets esophegus after a good stress test. My current Doc tells me That the stimulation of the nerve that serves both the heart and the esophegus is the culprit. treatment is this..
Stop acid entering the esophegus, previcid or prilosec is the treatment of choice, no caffine, no citrus, reduce fatty foods, get your weight in line, exercise, reduce stress. Its that simple.   HA HA This is a lifestyle issue. get back to basics
Ron
Last week I had a cardio catherization.   The drs. couldn't
go through my groin, because both arteries in my legs are blocked.

After the cath. the dr. said that I needed aortic valve replacement,because my aortic valve was close to closing, and also, bypass because my coronary arteries are also blocked.  I am really scared of the valve replacement opperation.

I am a 60 year old female, and I had rheumatic fever when I was a child.  I was wondering how many of these opperations are done, and what is the chance of something going wrong.  Also, I am confused about the different types of valves that are being used.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Ruth
Last month I collapsed in my bathroom while checking out a hairdo
my daughter had done for me...(Must have been some do, huh?) Any
how, one minute I was on the floor with my son & fiance hovering
over me, then time flashed & my bathroom was full of Paramedics.
Another flash & I was in my living room on a streture...the
flashes just kept coming until finally I was in the ER of a local
hospital.   I had temporary memory loss that covered a 3 month span but regained it in approx. 48hrs.  I still can't remember much of that night, but the rest has pretty much returned. good   I am a good 100lbs. over weight & had used the Redux program 2 years ago which was 100% successful.  I lost a good majority of my weight, was exercising regularly & felt terrific...until my back went out...YIKES!!!   I was flat on my back for 3 weeks & then in Physical therapy for 6 weeks.  I then was told to discontinue the Redux, due to the recall & now I'm at square 1 again, only now I've really got trouble...For the last year I've had extreme high BP up to 214/134 & just recently had to wear a holter monitor due to an arrhythmia. In 24hrs. they found 25 pauses & my heart raced to 204BPM my resting rate averaged 55BPM.  Although in most of these comments I am reading  that this isn't  necessarily anything to worry about, I am concerned because
of the fact that they have determined that what I had was a seizure due to the arrhythmia that evening I blacked out.  What should my next step be?
Thanks for your time folks...I appreciate it VERY much...
Dear Sheri,
Please tell me you are being treated (hopefully by a cardio.)!!!That blood pressure is out of this world and your heart rate.  What meds. are you on?  For info. from this site, I think the best way to get it is go to search and put in words that apply to your condition.  Of course, the are good, too, but search is more specific.
Dear Sheri,
Please tell me you are being treated (hopefully by a cardio.)!!!That blood pressure is out of this world and your heart rate.  What meds. are you on?  For info. from this site, I think the best way to get it is go to search and put in words that apply to your condition.  Of course, the archives are good, too, but search is more specific.
I have the flutters in my throat, too.  But my biggest problem it at night, only when I'm sleeping, my heart goes down to 50 bpm and almost instataneously jumps to 160.  It wakes me up and I feel horrible for a few minutes, then I'm fine and go back to sleep.  This happens several times a night and several nights a week.  I know how fast my heart is beating because a cardiologist put me on a 30-day monitor.  He doesn't know what is causing it.  I have real low blood pressure so there aren't many medicines I can take.  Inderal helped but I got extremely depressed on it.  I feel like I've awakened from the dead when this happens and I'm so tired of it.  During the day it never happens with the exceptions of skipped beats and some fluttering in my throat.  I can get passed that, but no sleep is killing me.  I have MVP
to carol
I have identical symptoms waking up at night but usualy only one or two nights a week. I also frequently have a vague feeling of pressure on the left side of my chest and mild pains there and also up my neck and face and down my arm (all left side).I also Have frequent "missed beats". These symptoms all occur in bed or at rest but rarely with exercise. However they are all most common when I am under emotional stress,and particularly after taking too much beer. I am a very fit 49 year old. Tests show my heart to be fine. I'm not so sure. Any advice anyone, please?
How frequent are your missed beats. I get hard thumps and bumps about 10 times per day and they scare the heck out of me.  I wanted to know how many others suffer from the same..........
to sally
Frequency varies. Sometimes I get them 4 or 5 times a minute for hours. Sometimes only once or twice a day. Definitely worst when I'm stressed or after eating or a day or 2 after drinking beer. They are scary but I've had them for about 10 years now so I'm not as frightened as I used to be.I'm worried about the other symptoms which have developed more recently. I wonder if it could be an eosophogus problem as mentioned in a previous comment
This is a revelation to find these pages and to find I am not alone. Why dont our docs explain things the way you folks do. I am 60 and have suffered from PVC's and Afib for the past 8 years. I seem to get a row of what I call the catch up (strong) beats that can last for hours. I get very tired and light headed when it goes this long. I also get what most other folk describe such as buzzing sensation in the chest, throbbing swelling feeling in the arota region, sick queezy or butterfly feeling in the stomache (feeling of dread is a good description), dizzy, short of breath and just plain sick of life.
Strangly, I start to burp volumes of air just after the episode starts. And no, I dont "gulp air" as some docs have suggested.
Mostly but not always after a meal. (Forget monitoring the food you eat.....there is no connection). I dont know if the episode causes the burping or whether there is a connection with the vegas nerve that senses a full stomache and tweeks the heart into these rhythms.
I opted for an AV ablation and dual chamber pacemaker 2 years ago when there was no relief via beta blockers ect. Amiodarone worked well for 3 years but it whacked out my thyroid so I had to get off it pronto. As you will see from the above the pacemaker hasn't been the ultimate answer in my case but at least I do get some good days, even periods up to a week. At least the pacemaker stops the lower heart from speeding up and I now usually remain at 60 to 85 BPM.
God bless and good luck to you all.

Skipped beats that you can feel in your pulse are usually PVCs. Premature Ventricular Contractins.  In english they are an extra beat caused by the heart muscle sending the signal out to "beat now" instead of a normal signal sent by the hearts natual pace maker.  The pvcs are not usually a problem but can be a sign of an irritation in the heart muscle. Many things can irritate the heart muscle from nutriant deprivation like potasium deficiency to pressure from overeating or a rubbing of the heart against an irritated or inflammed lining. There are problems with pvcs if they are random in their origin. So always get them checked by a cardiologist.
My daughter Nicole (29)has problems with her heartbeat. While in rest it is 80 Bpm, however at the slightest action, like rising from her chair, the heartbeat rises immediately to 160 - 180Bpm.
As long as she remains more or less in action, the pulse rate remains that high. In rest, sitting, the pulse rate lowers again.
3 weeks ago she had an ablation.
Since that time nothing has improved, the pulse rate is still high when in action, at the same level as before, but now there are interruptions in her heartbeat, sometimes, almost every 30 beats, she misses one beat.
Furthermore she now feels a constant pressure on het chest, around the heart area.
She tries to contact the surgeons or her cadio-specialist constantly, but she is send form one to the other without any real answers to her simple question:"what may I expect as a result from the ablation?"

I had an MI 6 years ago followed immediately  with angiolasty and an atherectomy.  The last few weeks, with a lot of stress at work, I have been experiencing a slight tightness in my chest.  My cardiologist gave me an echo-stress test in his office and after only 6+ minutes I had to stop.  Now he wants me to go and have a 'ardio-lite' test... thalium.  I am  afraid of another angiogram as I am realy allergic to the iodine tracer dye and last time I had trouble breathing and had to be pumped full of benedryl.  My cardio said that this time I would be put on steroids for the procedure.  I have type 2 diabetes, is there a reason for concern?
Thank you all so much for this information. I've been walking around for a week now just trying to describe in words what this weird feeling is.  I recall getting this feeling once in a while when I was younger but never have they occurred with the frequency that they are have been in the last week.  I notice they intensify after eating and I had indigestion for the last 2 days.  I'm going to make an appointment to see my Dr. (as luck would have it he's a cardiologist) soon.  BUT, I feel 1000% times better having read these posts!  Thank you!
To Carol, Sally and Joe

My heart skips as well beats. Once in a while it gets as bad as for you Carol. It almost always occurs at night !

I was checked as well, but nothing has been found either. Strange isn't it ? I was told not to worry. As long as I follow this advise everything is ok, as soon as I start to worry or get anxious the pace of my heart gets worse.
After a PVC best is to stay calm for me otherwise I'm getting the same effects than you all describe !
If you want to hear some of my heartbeats email to ***@**** and I will send you some of my own audio files with my heartbeat (including PVC's). As I did the record it is not professionnal but still good and clearly audible.

Loren
It is comforting to know that I am not the only out there who has a "butterfly" in her chest.  I have had heart flutters for the past 10 years and each time it gets worse, I go to see the doctor and they tell me that a lot of people experience this and I shouldn't worry.  They are obviously not the ones going through this, so that is easy for them to say.
Tonight however, my flutters were a little different and weird.  I had a couple of hard bumps and then my face flushed.  This happened for about 10 seconds and it scared the **** out of me.  I used to work in a hospital and so I still have my stethoscope and when I listen to my heart doing this, it stops and then starts again after the fluttering is done with.  I have been told that my heart is misfiring.  I have worn a holter monitor twice in the past and I have had numerous EKGs, all of which showed nothing unusual.  The last time I went to see a doctor, he suggested I consider taking antidepressants.  I know that I am a highly stressed individual and that I have to do something, but I am not sure what.  I have heard about biofeedback but don't know where to learn it.  Aromatherapy has helped some (as strange as some may think that is) but I am at my wit's end.  How can I live with something so annoying and scary and just have doctor after doctor tell me it's nothing?!!  I am glad though, that I found this website and I can honestly say that I can relate to what people are saying.
Sounds just like my story.  Docs say nothing is wrong but I think there is.  I get fluttery feelings and lots of skips and they cannot find anything!!!!  I can't stand it.  It definately affects my quality of life.
I have been having heart flutters for about two and half years. It started when I was at a friends house for coffee and whilst sat in the lounge I became hot and felt the 'dread' feeling and then my heart went ten to the dozen. I made my excuses and left.
On the walk home just a few minutes away my heart started to race, I got very hot and had to sit down even though I didn't feel faint.  To cut a long story short. After echocardiagrams and ECG's my doctor and consultant both told me they didn't know what caused it but it was normal and common but if it continued they could control it with drugs!!! I have often asked myself how can they control something they don't know!
Anyway it is great to hear so many familiar things from everyone on this web site and it has made me feel a lot better.
I agree that it is extremely frightening and it effects my quality of life. Trying to ignore it is very difficult.
Good luck to everyone who suffers the same.
i was just reading all of the personal situations that you all
have dealt with concerning heart palpitations.  i'm a 24 yr old
male, and i started having heart palpitations at the beginning
of April 2000.  Since then, they went away for about a week, and
then they resurface once I start being treated for bronchio-
pneumonia.  now since my 2 wk treatment for the pneumonia has
ceased, my allergies have started and i have sinusitis accompanied with rhinitis and a touch of pleurisy.  i'm getting my thyroid checked in about 2 wks, but the palpitations are really scaring me because i have them constantly on a daily basis.  i average 10-15 per day for the past two weeks.  should i be concerned other than the thyroid?  what can I do to supress them or make them stop?  could it be the infection caused from the pneumonia?  i haven't had any caffeine or chocolate or alcohol since the first week in April when i first started having them.  what should I do?
Well its so nice that we have wonderful people in the world like "Bob"!! But thats okay we have to excuse people like him. And dont worry it can be traced back where this wonderful remark came from so I'm sure he will be taken care of. And for you "Bob" I'm sorry your life is so miserable!!!!!!!!
I hope tha legal action is taken against this Bob.
I was diagnosed today with PVC's and have had mitral valve prolapse for many years.  I'm not going the medication route b/c my doctor says the side effects from medication can be worse than the PVC's.  Does anyone have any information on vitamins or herbs that can be taken to calm these things down?
I'll just chime in with everybody else to say "yep, I've got 'em too."  I tried VERY hard to deal with my pvcs drug-free and although cutting way down on all stimulants, getting enough sleep, staying low-stress, etc. IS helpful in reducing the frequency or duration of PVC episodes, life can't always remain stress free, can it... when mine got so that there were more days with them than without them I got a full workup (more for my own peace of mind than anything else since intellectually I knew they weren't dangerous but I needed cold, hard data to remind myself of that when it's bad).  And then I relented and went on the ubiquitous 25mg atenolol(tenormin).  And I does in fact help.  It does NOT eliminate them (for me) but it does reduce the severity and frequency and duration of their occurance.  What also helps is having talked to everyone I know about them and finding out I know three other people my age dealing with heart arrhythmias!!!  We who deal with this need each other and we need each other's stories.  I know that I get a variety of weird pvcs:  they aren't always the same which then makes you think -- oh no, somethings CHANGED or is WORSENING somehow.  But short of passing out totally (even if you think you're about to or even if short of breath momentarily) it is ok!  And one more thing:  those of you new to these I am so sorry but it's "welcome to the club" time -- they don't go away, ever, unless you have a "successful ablation" something not needed or recommended for benign pvcs.  They can come so RANDOMLY that you begin to think they've gone forever, then you are crushed to find:  THEY'RE BAAAAACK!  I know you, my fellow sufferers out there, can relate.  Hang in there everybody, I guess this is character building...
I have had pvc's too and heart palpations...as well as strong beating at times.  I have been diabetic for 38 years and about a year ago was put on propulsid (which helps regulate the food moving through the intestional tract)which made my heart lose beats every few minutes and I got severe shocks from my heart thumping which took me out of my chair. I had been on propulsid for a month and this got worse and worse over that month.  (They have now banned motillium in the US as I understand it but not yet in Canada.)   About a year ago my doctors substituted motillium instead of propulsid. Things were much better and quite good except at times after that for almost a year. Finally a doctor suggested to me to drop the motillium and told me that I might no longer need it. I found that when I was able to get off the drug motilium, I lost even more of these sensations.  I still notice that my heart beats strong at times, but this maybe due to the Altace I am also taking. I'm only suggesting that sometimes the drugs we may be taking are enhancing or causing some of these sensations that we unknowingly have. Anyhow, you'd have to follow your doctor's advice and suggestions.
I wish to apologize for a mistake in my comment sent today.  It is propulsid that was banned in the US (not motillium), and as far as I know propulsid has not as yet been banned in Canada. -Jim H.
I can really relate.  Every since I had angioplasty I have been having strange flutterings in my chest and now lately in my neck.  I wore a holter monitor and it did show some irregular heart beats. My cardiologist suggested I go off caffeine, which I promply did.  It seemed to help at first, but now I have had trouble for the past two weeks.  I went in to the emegency room today and everything looked normal.  My cariologist said I was having muscle pain, which has nothing to do with my heart.  I know that how I feel is definitely not normal and I felt lightheaded and short of breath on and off all day.  That can't be normal.  At any rate I am supposed to go in tomorrow for another thalium treadmill test and echocardiogram.  I feel very frustrated and kind of foolish, but worried because I still feel the same pains.  I guess I would feel better if I knew what was causing them, instead of being made to feel as if I'm not capable of knowing if I'm sick or not.
I can really relate.  Every since I had angioplasty I have been having strange flutterings in my chest and now lately in my neck.  I wore a holter monitor and it did show some irregular heart beats. My cardiologist suggested I go off caffeine, which I promply did.  It seemed to help at first, but now I have had trouble for the past two weeks.  I went in to the emergency room today and everything looked normal.  My cardiologist said I was having muscle pain, which has nothing to do with my heart.  I know that how I feel is definitely not normal and I felt lightheaded and short of breath on and off all day.  That can't be normal.  At any rate I am supposed to go in tomorrow for another thalium treadmill test and echocardiogram.  I feel very frustrated and kind of foolish, but worried because I still feel the same pains.  I guess I would feel better if I knew what was causing them, instead of being made to feel as if I'm not capable of knowing if I'm sick or not.
Your last line really struck home. I said something very similar to my ep.  I was having trouble believing I had the things I was diagnosed with (even after feeling the episodes and watching the monitors) and accepting the treatment. I told him that I was used to getting common things like a cold or the flu or virus and being able to diagnose them myself and knowing how to treat them. Now, it's having to totally trust someone you just met with something you are so unfamiliar with (and even in researching how much do we fully understand anyway?) It's a whole new ball game.  Good luck.  :o)
My heart will skip or race( 150 beats )when I eat. I can control it by chasing each bite with a swallow of water. Can anyone relate to that?
Sherri,

You seriously need to lose weight and control your blood pressure.  Your BP is way too high.  This can actually cause a stroke or even a heart attack.  Please be very concerned about your health and try to make revisions in your life style to better your self.  Definetly talk to a Diet specialist and Cardiologist.  With all due respect as well, you are way over weight.  This is why your heart is working harder and over exerting itself.  Too much friction and work on the heart and fatal,which can be irreversable.  You might be damaging your heart.  Be very careful and seek a Doctor soon.
I had a phase of palpatations about five years ago while in a very stressful job.  I cut out the caffeine & alcohol, took some stress tabs and they seem to go away.  In the last two weeks they came back much worse than before.  It feels like my heart is skipping beats.  They are quite often, almost all the time.  When at their worst, I feel the skipped beat every 6 - 20 beats for as much as an hour at a time.  I saw my physician 2 days ago and go in for the 24 hour holter monitor in a few days.  It is interesting to find that this is not all that uncommon but kind of stressing to not hear of much being done to relieve these.  I love to hear from people out there that have found relief through methods other than doctor prescribed meds.  I have found a few references to following: St. John's Wort, Kava Kava, lack of potasium and other nutrients, biofeedback, yogo, reducing caffiene & alcohol, and exercise.  If there are any positive testimonials out there I love to hear them.  Thanks.
This has been a very reassuring site. I am a 16 year old female.  About three days ago at work i developed a terrible headache which is not uncommon for me. At the same time my heart started feeling funny and i felt light headed.  Every day since then i have noticed my heart skipping a beat quite often. it is a very scarey feeling. My mom also has this condition. Does anyone know if it is hereditary or if i should be worried about my being so young? thanks, i'd apprecitate any information.
I looking for a neck monitor so I can warn a neighbor if Fill-in my house. I'm 92 yours old and live alone
I'm looking for a warning neck monitor for a naboughter sheis 91 and fall in her home lives alone and might not get to a phone .Can you help?
Anyone with questions about PVC's, please check out my post under "What's causing my pvc's"
HI CAN ANYONE HELP ME I DONT KNOW IF I HAVE THE SAME THING EVERYONE ELSE IS TALKING ABOUT. I will be trying to go to bed then Boom my heart feels like it flipped over and i will take a big breath to regain control this goes on all night not all nights just a on and off deal. ITs really scary and i dont know what it is. if anyone could help me please write back thanks.
  mitch
Just recently, I'd have to say about a week ago, these 'flutters started, or I'd say my heart was skipping beats. Couldn't really explain it. I'm really worried about it, and I'm not sure if my family has the money to even take me to a doctor. We're really most times tight for money and I'd feeling horrible knowing another bill was being delivered, and because of me.
I haven't been to the doctor in quite some time. I've been pretty good until this week. I'm only 19 years old.
I was wondering if maybe being overweight causes this? Because I'm overweight. I've been alittle stressed lately about being stuck in the house all the time. I'm not really allowed to go out.. I was curious what causes these flutters.. I know I have to go to the doctor, I just hope I can convince my family that it's needed..
There is a God!

I am so glad that I found this page.  I to have experienced the same palpations, they started when I was about 19 or 20.  And they happen off/on and it is very frasusting.  It is such a relief to hear others talk about their experence and how it affects their lives.

I feel so much better that I found this website and there a bunch of people like me having palpatations for no apparent reason.  Three weeks ago, I ended up in the emergency room with a resting heart rate of 135 with palpatations.  I spent 8 hours there laying on guerny wating for my test result to come back.  I had ekg's, cardiac enyzymes, other labs, exams, and even chest x-rays.  At the end of the who ordeal the Dr. came and said that all my test were normal and that I had the prettiest chest x-rays she had ever seen.  They took out my I.V. and let me go home.  I was told to make an appointment with my Dr. which I have in few days.  I still feel like something is wrong.  I still "I am only 25 years old, why am I having this".  So far I am just living my life the best I can whether I have heart palpatations or not.  Thank you for all of the people who wrote in to this website because without reading it I feel like I would be going insane.  It is especially difficult when you think something wrong and something is happening to you that never happened before and the Dr. says NOTHING IS WRONG AND YOUR OKAY.  I just feel like I have gained my sanity back

Dave

Dave
Take 50 Mg of Co-Q10 twice daily.  After the age of 25 this essential co-enzyme gradually becomes deficient.  It is especially good for the heart muscle, and has been used in Europe for over 30 years.  You can pick it up at Wal-mart and should see a difference within a week. . . my PVC's have completely stopped, and I'm still in a high stress job.  It is the only dietary change I made, but I continue to take standard multi-vitamins daily as well.
I am 24 years old, and for as far back as I can remember I have always had an irregular heart beat. But for the past almost two years now my heart has been out of control. I have major palpatations, my heart stops beating for a few seconds, then starts again, I have a terrible arrythmia, my heart races one second and is slow the next.  Sometimes I get these heart beats where it feels like someone is punching me in the chest from the inside. One day I decided to go to the emergency room because theings wrer getting too scary for me to handle.  In the ER I was diagnosed with something called Mobitz Type 1 Second Degree Heart Block.  Then I went to another cardiologit where he performed a 2-D Echocardiogram, and I was then diagnosed with the same Heart Block along with Mitral Valve Prolapse and Pansystolic Mitral Valve Prolapse. There are still more tests the doctors want to perform. I just want this to be over, It's scary.  I have other health problems too, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Raynauds Syndrome, and now this heart block and MVP.  I am too young to feel this old!!!!  If you guys out there feel scared about whats happening with your heart, get it checked out!!  I waited way too long and now I have heart block.
I am yet another person that's going to complain about the same type of skipped beat palpitations. I'm in my late 20s and have been getting them since I was about 20. The most common are the skipped beat or extra beat sensation where you feel a flutter like your heart did a blackflip, butterflies in your stomach and
a little squeeze of the airway in your throat, all lasting about a second. It usually occured with stress. After I had them for a couple of years and my doctor did a holter and explained what it was (misfire), I became a lot less concerned and became used to it.

However, now I'm feeling a painful throb with the palpatation. It's like my heart is pushing on my chest wall. The sensation is the same as I described above, now with a little jolt or squeeze of pain in behind my breastbone, which lasts for the duration of the palpatation, usually a second. I noticed it first a year or so ago when I quickly went up a flight of stairs, and again when I rode an exercise bike and was pushing it a bit too hard. Lately, I have been getting them more, usually with rigourous physical activity, and sometimes less frequently with stress. The pain never lasts longer than the length of the palpation, usually a second.
So, I was wondering if it is common to get a throbbing or squeezing pain as part of an isolated palpatation.
I was hoping someone could give their oppinion on this.

IT IS SURELY A PSYCHOLOCAL PROBLEM IF THYROID RESULTS ARE NORMAL.PLEASE DO CONSULT A GOOD PSYCHIATRIST