Heart Disease Expert Forum
Scared it's my heart!

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Scared it's my heart!

Ok so my symptoms began about the middle of November, so it has been almost 4 months! I get arm tingling right down to my fingers, my arms get very heavy and tire easily in the upper part of both of them, shooting pains from time to time also I get cold fingers. I have also experienced upper back pain like a burning. Just recently I have been having chest discomfort and have been to the ER just two days ago because of it, but I have been seeing doctors and been to the ER a total of five times! I have had 6 or 7 ekgs, 3 or 4 chest X-rays, blood tests 4 times, blood pressure tested numerous times and urine tests all of which have comeback negative. I have worn the holter monitor for 48 hours, I am scheduled to have my blood taken to check glucose, creatinine, uric acid, sodium, potassium and the lipid assessment to check cholesterol and triglycerides and then I will have an ultrasound on my heart followed by the stress test and then I will follow up with my cardiologist to get results. I also get bouts of dizziness and naseau and shortness of breath. I am a 34 year old women I weigh 130 pounds and eat very healthy. I also have headaches time to time almost a pressure around my ears and jaw. I drink plenty of water, I have been trying to cut out coffee (although I only drink 2 a day) and I also find when u drink alcohol it helps during, but the next few days are bad! I was heavily drinking for the last few months like 4 times a week sometimes and I smoke cigarettes when I drink, but not when I don't! I am very scared because I just know this is my heart and wishing my trips to the ER would see this before I sit at home and have a heart attack. It's still another 3 weeks of tests before I see results from my cardiologist. Someone please help because I have a 4 year old son and I don't want to leave him or this world I'm too young and happy to live!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

It sounds like you have been going through a lot. It certainly must be frustrating and anxiety provoking to have these symptoms continuing without an explanation as to what may be causing them. Certainly, it is reassuring from a physician's perspective that you have had several prior evaluations which have come back negative so far. That being said, I think that it is still a good idea to pursue the tests that you have planned to get to the bottom of whether this may be a cardiac issue. Make sure you know your family history as this will be very relevant for when you are evaluated. If you have any worsening of these symptoms prior to the testing then you should go to the ED to be evaluated. If your cardiac evaluation comes back negative (as it very well may), you should see your internist to evaluate for other causes of these symptoms. Esophageal spasm can cause several of the things you described as can anxiety. In the mean time, I would also do your best to cut out the cigarettes as this will have both short and long term impact on your overall and cardiovascular health.
Your test results have been great so far and I am sure that when you have your echo they would refer you to a cardiologist immediately if anything came up during the procedure. Your symptoms could be something as simple as a virus or a trapped nerve. When I am anxious, my chest gets tight too. You are right to make sure you get all the appropriate tests, but you are young and not overweight, with good tests so far, so I would think there is every chance it's not a cardiac problem.
Hi, I was amazed when I read your description of your symptons as they are real close to what I have been going thru. In early Novemeber I had an event where my heart started racing for 2 1/2 hours and ended up getting a heart ablation done. Since then I have had all of the syptmpns you noted plus my legs feeling super heavy. It comes and goes but never really goes, it is just a lot worse at times. Last week I was super nasuous and had a very sharp stomach pain along with all the other stuff for 6 days. This week is much better but my heart still feels like the rythem is off so I am real tired and my arms and legs feel heavy but no nauseau or stomach pain. This is driving me crazy and I am sick of it. I hope one of us finds the answer soon. Good Luck