Screenings
Is it worth the money to get a cardiovascular screening that comes to my area?  I have high cholesterol, high blood pressure and my mother died from a stroke at the age of 55 from plaque in her arteries.  It seems like a great deal.  Can my doctor order the same tests?
The usefulness of a cardiovascular screening that goes to your area may based on unreliable information without further testing so if the test is possitve you may be referred to cardiologist...may be more costly than seeing a cardiologist as the test may be a false positive.

If you have a family history of cardiovascular disease, your cardiovascular system may be more vulnerable than normal.  If you have concern about your heart vulnerability, you may want to have tests that can distinquish whether you have significant beginnings of CAD and if so begin treatment. The test information would be establishing a reference point for subsequent tests going forward.

Appropriate tests are EKG, MRI, CAT scans to view the inner layers of the coronary vessels to determine if your high cholesterol has the beginnings of coronary artery disease or degree of any advancement (treatment if warranted).  

Thanks for your question, and if you have any further questions or comments you are welcome to respond.  Take care,

Ken

Your doctor can order the same tests if he feels there is reason.  When I read your post though I can tell you I would have several reasons to be screened. I hope you do. I have a genetic form of familial hyperchloresterolemia and I live in the fear of having another heart attack or stroke with all the plaque in my arteries.  I take meds, but the fear is still there.  Genetic factors a lot of risks where heart disease is concerned. Early detection and treatment is always the way to go.  Ally