Heart Disease Expert Forum
Scuba Diving

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Scuba Diving

I have had a Bentel's procedure performed on me, so I have a St Jude aortic valve and a dacron ascending aorta.  I take warfrin daily.  Is it safe for me to scuba dive?

_
Dear Tom, thank you for your question which I must admit, is a tough one to answer.  I'm not sure what the risk of a laceration or an injury that could result in bleeding is with scuba diving.  That would be the first concern since you are taking coumadin and you wouldn't want to put yourself at risk for a catastrophic hemorrhage from an injury.  Second, the hemodynamic effects of scuba diving (especially at depths > 50 ft.) on your aortic valve and aortic replacement are hard to calculate.  It may indeed be safe for you to scuba dive, but you need to speak to your own cardiologist about this question. I cannot give you the "green light" to scuba dive in this forum.  Good luck!
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.